A good burley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1037

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have an itching to get a burley into my rotation. I have a cob ready for the job, but need a little help.

Now, for the fun part: a few restrictions. Prince Albert, Carter Hall are for some reason, the hardest for me to find. I just cant walk into my house with a 14oz tub of tobacco and not take crap for it, but smaller quantities are nowhere to be found. 5 Bros,I picked this for my free sample, and haven't seen it yet. any of these would solve my problem, but the OTCs are MIA. More restriction stuff. I really don't like to buy stuff online. If I could get my hands on a few pounds of storm front from a b&m here, I wouldn't even be READING this section of the board anymore. The itch would be scratched (we all know that I am lying to myself here, but let me have my dream)

C&Ds Safe Harbor Flake. Solani 656, and a bulk Blend called TS-4 Cube Cut Burley are all immediately accessible.

Lay it on me fellas: What the heck is ts-4? if this is bulk 5 bros, the discussion is over. If it isn't, let the suggestions begin!

No clue what TS-4 is. Recommendations? Solani Aged Burley Flake, or PM me for some Storm Front.

Its hard to find something new if you can't get to it. I would recommend Macbarren Golden Extra.

I have some Patton's Moe's Confetti which I find incredibly enjoyable. Shoot me a PM for a sample.

George, I can't in good faith ask for a samplef something I've already tried. That justs makes me a mooch. Thank you for the generosity, nonetheless.

Moz... on that same note, pm sent. Thank you as well.

Sonarman: I am fortunate enough to have a very good b&m resource along my morning commute. the tobacco selection is excellent, but the pipes in stock setup is unrivaled.

P&C's Angler's Dream is pretty close to Carter Hall, but I think that may only come in tubs, too.

I would caution against C&D Old Joe Krantz or Haunted Book Shop. Both are wonderful blends, but I ordered a lot of OJK after discovering Cater Hall. I quickly learn that what we refer to has OTC burley isn't really true burley. Burley may dominate the OTCs, but they're a bit more dressed up.

These guys sell single pouches of most of the OTCs:

http://www.smokersoutletonline.com/pipetobacco.html

I have used them once or twice.

Uhle's 00
Uhle's Perfection Plug
Peretti's Thanksgiving Day (rum soaked burley, seasonal).
Wessex Burley Sices

I think the Stokkebye cube cut you mention is PS41. It's good and it's cheap.

jefe1037":bihjxyhd said:
George, I can't in good faith ask for a samplef something I've already tried. That justs makes me a mooch. Thank you for the generosity, nonetheless.
Didn't realize you'd already tried it. How about some ABF, then?

PD was right on here. The white burley cube cut was a mislabel... Iwan has both TS6 and PS41 cube cut. I got a couple of oz of the cube cut (burley with a hint of Cavendish) It was cheap, and it is GOOD. My burley itch is fulfilled, for the moment. George, we will have to save the ABF for a pop in. One of us needs to take a road trip.

Went back today too (second day in a row) to pick up a couple more oz to throw in a jar. just for funzies.

Thanks guy

Jefe, I have an unopened pouch of Prince Albert, Kentucky Club and one pipe full missing in a Carter Hall and a Half & Half.
ALL these are yours for the price of shipping sir. Not that I need a payment for them but only because as usual spent too much on pipes and am broke again. Let me know sir, just PM me your mailing address.

Really like McCrannies Old Master - McClellands Bulk X-10. Sweet and nutty

I read that you are averse to ordering online, but Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake from pipes & cigars is very much worth a try.

I am a smoker of Burley... shop at McCrannies and the first two tobaccos I bought were McClellands 5100 and what they call old master. X-10 McClelland bulk. Sweet and nutty

I don't smoke any straight burleys but do enjoy VA/Burley flakes. My favorites are the following.

Stonehaven
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
Solani Silver Flake
GL Pease Navigator.

My one OTC burley that I will smoke occasionally is Carter Hall. Very nice smoke for running errands and when you do not want to have to think about what you are smoking. No bite and it burns beautifully right out of the pouch.

My favorites in order of preference:

Storm Front
Essence of Vermont
Old Master
Carter Hall
Thanksgiving Day
Classic Burley Kake

Solani Aged Flake is very well thought of, and stronger than any of those I mentioned. The smoke does have an ample body to it, but its flavor profile, while I would stop short of calling it non-existent...it is rather subdued. It wasn't a bad smoke, just not particularly noteworthy. I'm not sure what everyone is on about with this one.

Next up is Uhle 00 and Perfection Plug once I put my hands on some.

BurleyLegal":51ll8yla said:
I read that you are averse to ordering online, but Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake from pipes & cigars is very much worth a try.
+1
They presently have this blend on back order. It's a great burley IMO, hopefully my shipment will arrive shortly. A very good recommendation by BL.