A Good Codger Burley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
I am currently working my way through some C&D Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop as well as a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, and have thought to ask if anyone might have a recommendation for a good, old fashioned 'codger burley'?

Mac Baren is not an option because the casing(s) do not agree with me and Prince Albert does not count (for that is in a class all its own). I would also prefer to stay away from anything which comes in a plastic tub.

Basically, I am looking a good burley blend which is very straightforward, a bit grumpy, grizzled, 'pipey', etc., ... but of some quality in terms of leaf, preparation, and presentation.

Any suggestions?

Kapnismologist":mvlh970f said:
I am currently working my way through some C&D Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop as well as a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, and have thought to ask if anyone might have a recommendation for a good, old fashioned 'codger burley'?

Mac Baren is not an option because the casing(s) do not agree with me and Prince Albert does not count (for that is in a class all its own). I would also prefer to stay away from anything which comes in a plastic tub.

Basically, I am looking a good burley blend which is very straightforward, a bit grumpy, grizzled, 'pipey', etc., ... but of some quality in terms of leaf, preparation, and presentation.

Any suggestions?
I love old-fashioned burley tobaccos, and Old Joe Krantz is pretty hard to top! Two others from C&D are Morley's Best and Epiphany, both of which are inspired by codger blends that were very popular decades ago. Morley's is a redux of the old Blue Boar, while Epiphany is a re-creation of the original Revelation. If you want some great old fashioned smokes, you don't have to look any further. But if you do want to look further (and don't mind trying something in a tub) try to find one of the dwindling supplies of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. It was recently discontinuted, but some online stores still have some.

Kapnismologist":5cdh0ts9 said:
I would also prefer to stay away from anything which comes in a plastic tub.
Tobacco snob!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's ok, more for us! :lol:

LJ Peretti has a bunch of what I would consider old fashioned burley blends. DD and BPC are good places to start.

You might check your favorite retailers for Exclusiv Royal. Now it's mostly burley. But apparently has some Virginia and Turkish in it. It's of the type of cut that all you need to do is gravity feed the bowl.

Uhle's is very good with Burleys. They have been doing this since 1938. So they know about old codger blends. My favorite is #255, wonderful aroma. #300 and Perfection Plug Burley are very good but seem to have a bit much in the nicotine department for my tastes. You should try Uhles if just for the fact that they are the nicest people you will ever deal with. Ask for Chris, he is the blender. Awfully nice and very helpful.

Gents,

What a great body of suggestions. I have already started to make a list - do keep them coming. Thanks a bunch!

A couple not yet suggested include Stokkebye's Cube Cut Burley and their Sliced Burley, the former with an apple-ish note and the latter pretty much a straight burley. Of course there's always Sir Walter Raleigh that comes in a paper tub or pouch and Granger.

Jim

I'll second SailorJack's recommendation of Uhle's in general, and their blend #300 specifically. The #300 is basically their cube cut burly, (which is just about the best on the market today) with a touch of what they call honey hive flavoring. I don't find it aromatic (more than any straight burly is) but it really does have a very gentle honey taste that complements the nuttiness of the burly perfectly. It's really delicious and in a cob on a hot day, it's my favorite burly smoke these days. Reminds me, time to order more (and while I'm at it, Bishop's Move is my favorite latakia blend these days, so better get another pound of it too!).

Natch

After seeing this thread I revisted a burley blend that I had shelved for a while. C&D Barrister. Though not described on the C&D website as a Burley based blend I definitely believe that it qualifies as one. An outstanding smoke that comes as close to Walnut as anything else that I have smoked. And, it doesn't come in a plastic tub! :lol:

Barrister - A unique mixture of white Burley (rough cut and short cut), Virginia, dark Burley fine cut and Latakia.
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/english_blends.htm

JP,

I'd imagine you will be hearing from the Tarlers Lawyers...... Statements like that make a rock solid case for a Defamation Of Character lawsuit.

Natch":h4o36a7a said:
"An outstanding smoke that comes as close to Walnut as anything else that I have smoked."

"Outstanding smoke" & "Walnut", isn't that an oxymoron? :mrgreen:

Natch
puros_bran":h4o36a7a said:
JP,

I'd imagine you will be hearing from the Tarlers Lawyers...... Statements like that make a rock solid case for a Defamation Of Character lawsuit.
I believe Barrister was conceived and produced as an alternative to Middleton's Walnut about the time that Altria was negotiating to purchase the John Middleton company, just in case Walnut was dropped from their line. Fortunately they have realized the revenue value of Walnut being their best seller in the etail business and one of their most popular blends overall.

:lol!:

Try the Edwards blends, they are top quality and delicious. (Can we apply that adjective to tobacco?) My favorites are Colonial, Bishop Burley, and Scotish Moor. They are easy to get on-line (check www.mccranies.com, for example).

I have to endorse Morley's Best. It's an outstanding Burley with a touch of the Latakia brush.

Count me in as another vote for Morley's Best and Epiphany, two of my top smokes. If you can find any ERRd, better get it as it is now out of production. If you like a bit of sweetness in your burley, C&D Pegasus would be a good one. The Peretti burleys are excellent too, particularly BPC. So is Pipeworks and Wilke's Nut Brown Burley.

Smokey

Kapnismologist":nbxmxece said:
I would also prefer to stay away from anything which comes in a plastic tub.

Any suggestions?
Discounting the slight bit of tobacco snobbery the king of 'codger' burly has got to be
Prince Albert tobacco. This tobacco comes in a pouch or a tub holding it's market since
1907 which to me can't be matched by no other burley on the market today.

To the newbie or the working man/woman ignore the advice to avoid all the fine decades
old 'tub' drug store tobacco's for there is a very valid reason they have been on the market
so very long. They're damn good tobacco's! :sunny:

My grandpa smoked PA, and ONLY PA for - gosh... I dunno - forever. Right now I'm on a Haunted Bookshop kick, but as soon as it's all gone I think I'll pick up some PA for kicks.