a look far back

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrT999

Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
Last night, I was looking through a notebook I kept many years ago, when I was an undergrad (kept only because I have basic family geneology info in it). Flipping through it, I came across a page listing pipe tobaccos I had tried and some basic ratings. Alas, no tasting notes, but I thought some might be interested in knowing what OTC were available in a small college town ca. 1978-80.

I had theoretically split the ratings into 6 categories, but I didn't have any in the two extremes ('great' and 'disgusting'). The other four were: 'certainly rebuy', 'maybe rebuy,' 'don't rebuy,' and 'didn't like'.

For those tobaccos still around (or at least recently around), the * rating from tobacco reviews is noted. They are listed as rated

'certainly rebuy'
Flying Dutchman Tropic (don't remember this at all)
Pipe Den's Twain Study (don't remember this at all)
Captain Black Royal **
Captain Black Gold ** (I'm surprised I rated this slightly higher than the white, since I usually smoked the white)
Captain Black white ***

'maybe rebuy'
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic ***
Sir Walter Raleigh ***
Flying Duchman **
Borkum Riff Champagne **
Old Grand Dad (don't remember this brand at all)

'don't rebuy'
Irish Mead (don't remember this brand at all)
Borkum Riff Whiskey *
Borkum Riff Cavendish **
Mac Baren Symphony **
Borkum Riff Cognac
Amphora Black Cavendish ***
Skandinavik (no idea which one)

'didn't like'
Prince Albert ***
Mixture #79 **
Velvet **

Obviously, my tastes have greatly changed (well, I haven't been crazy about any of the above that I retried when I came back to pipe smoking). Any other 'old timers' remember (fondly or otherwise) Flying Dutchman Tropic, Irish Mead, or Old Grand Dad? (I would imagine the Twain Study was called that because it was sold in Elmira, NY; who knows what they called it elsewhere!) Have your tastes changed over the years?

Only due to the disappearance of Balkan Sobranie Virginian nr. 10, followed by the perversion of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, coupled with the appearance of GLP's Virginia-based flakes & (belated) "discovery" of FVF.

Same basic groove.

:cat: :face: :study: