A P-Lip Inquiry

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow pipesters. A question regarding Peterson's unique P-lip: Does anyone out there truly like it? Or do those of us with Petes kind of just put up with it? Also -- any thoughts on the P-lip design and how it might effect draft/air flow? I personally own two Petes, and my personal thoughts on this are in a constant flux. At first I really did not like it, then I kind of got used to it, and now I am leaning toward liking it. Hmm... any thoughts, opinions, elucidations, rants, pontifications, raves, equivicotions, and or observations would be most appreciated.

In a cloud of smoke,

Trout Bum

I have three Pete's and only one has a P-Lip so I'm assuming I like the fishtail bits better. When I do smoke the P-Lip it doesn't bother me but I do find myself angling the pipe now and then to adjust the smoke stream. Think I'll smoke my P-Lip system pipe tonight and pay more attention. :lol:

I tend to clench my pipe, and the shape of the P-lip is realy comfortable with my style, but the smoking experience itself is not to my liking. The "pinhole" just doesn't deliver the flavor in the way I prefer, and even though the smoke is no hotter than a regular mouthpiece, it irritates my hard palate. Also a drag fitting a pipe cleaner in there for the post-smoke resting period.

So, I understand the appeal of a P-lip, but it's not for me. (I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my only Pete as a result.)

I've never owned a Pete but I have owned several Wellingtons with the same designed stem. I find them rather comfortable but I am not crazy about the over all system. IMHO they are not good for carrying around. I only smoke them at home when I can sit down and then thoroughly clean them afterwards.

I have had one p-lip Peterson and ended up trading it off. The pipe shape I liked but the way I smoke the p-lip kept burning the top of my mouth. I have four or five Peterson's but they all have the fish tail stem. I have heard other people swear by them. They just are not for me.

I currently have two, but have owned several others.

The p-lip is a decent enough design but the logic behind it is rather insane.

Tongue burn starts on top of your mouth (Get a fresh warm Coke, sip it between puffs.. You'll see) not on the tongue.
Diverting the smoke stream up seems counter productive. From my experiance it saves tongue 'ick'(that cruddy coated feeling) but not tongue burn.

What it is great for is clenching. The design gives two holding places.

But the biggest downfall?

The Mrs is mildly interested in my pipes and where they are from.. When she first noticed a P-lip she said 'don't tell me, its from Israel isn't it?'

'No dear, its from Ireland...what made you think Isreal?'

'Its circumsized'

You know what? She's right.. That's exactly what it looks like, a penile carving in ebonite. Think about that next time you kiss your pipe for a puff....lol

I have a Peterson that came with a p-lip stem. I had it replaced with a fishtail and now enjoy it much more. However, my mom got me a Savinelli a couple years ago that came with a modified p-lip. That end of the stem is for all intents the same shape as one on a Pete, but instead of just a pin hole, there's a slot which spreads the smoke around rather than directing it exactly at the roof of my mouth. I like it just fine...but not the Pete style. Weird.

I had to get rid of my P-Lip pipes because my hard pallete is too sensitive.I
developed Nicotine Stomatitis which is a condition of tissue irritation that has
an ominous look,white patch the size of a dime with red dots on the roof of my
mouth.Dentist was so alarmed he took Poloroid picture and scared me away from
the pipe for 4 months.After 6 weeks of abstinence it healed up,but then I sold my
P-Lips.

http://www.doctorspiller.com/nicotinic_stomatitis.htm :x

Winslow :sunny:

I like them, have 4 Petes with the p lip and have had no problems. Fit into my rotation without any problems. Great for clenching

I have several Pete's all with P-lip bits. I have never had any problems relating to the design, all are very nice to smoke. Its all up to personal preference...

I'll admit i'm completely in the dark...p lip? fishtail? Can anyone furnish pics or a link?

free_byrd15":ulu94zze said:
I'll admit i'm completely in the dark...p lip? fishtail? Can anyone furnish pics or a link?
This old catalogue (from the wonderful Pipe Pages site) has an explanation/diagram of the P-lip mouthpiece:
http://pipepages.com/pics/rog5.jpg

There is also a typical "fishtail" mouthpiece in the upper-left of that page.

Wow -- Thanks for all of the responses... I guess it is pretty subjective; you either like the P-lip, you absolutely hate it, or you are more or less indifferent. I do agree that the design lends itself to those that like to clench. I have a bent apple with a P-lip, and it actually kind of "hangs" in a comfortable and relaxed fashion, which in itself frees me to contemplate being and nothingness on levels formerly undiscovered, unplumbed, unexamined...

Anyone know where to get a Pete retro-fitted for a fishtail?

Finally, and this is addressed to Monsieur Puros, I can now no longer look upon the P-lip without thinking that it closely resembles a circumcised penis. The horror, the horror!

I've owned a few over the years but only have two now. I don't notice a major difference in how they smoke, but find them, especially one, a bugger-bear to get a pipe cleaner through. If you start at the mouthpiece end, like I do, you're asking your pipe cleaner to do a ninety degree bend in the first 1/8 inch. And if I bend the tip a bit so it goes in easier, you sometimes hear that "lovely" scraping sound as the end of the wire digs in near the other end of the mouthpiece. :affraid:

Natch

I have several Pete's with p-lips and love them but they're a bit of a PITA to clamp in your teeth as that little rise right in front of the hole gets in the way...

I have three Petes with P-lip stems, and other Petes without. I don't think they smoke any different than my other Petes or Savs or Stanwells or ..........., and most of the time I doesn't bother me. But there are times when I'm looking over the collection to pick a friend for a smoke, and I'll say no to the P-lip stem.

Guess it's just one of those things.

I have eight Peterson's -- six have the P-lip and I have grown to dislike them. I like the briar on the Pete's -- it is tough as nails, and it tastes good. But the fishtail stems are exponentially better in my opinion.
Draw is key to good pipe smoking (along with great tobacco, great briar, etc etc)