a picture of my father

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fr_Tom":d9tu4fz6 said:
I stumbled on this picture of my father from some point when he was in the Navy. It looks like a cob he is smoking.
Nice picture! There was no smoking on weather decks when I was in. Would have been relaxing. Great heirloom!

eklektos44":4o7fdqcr said:
Nice picture! There was no smoking on weather decks when I was in. Would have been relaxing. Great heirloom!
This would have been WWII era, so maybe the rules were a little more relaxed wrt smoking back then.

That's terrific. I'd have been in trouble with a white uniform and pipe ashes, on a moving boat!

Fr_Tom":4wg8nnvs said:
I stumbled on this picture of my father from some point when he was in the Navy. It looks like a cob he is smoking.

A right arm rate. He must have been a deck ape of some sort (Boatswain's Mate) or a Gunner's Mate.

What a great picture to have. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Fr_Tom":qqws8e76 said:
Terry292":qqws8e76 said:
A right arm rate.  He must have been a deck ape of some sort (Boatswain's Mate) or a Gunner's Mate.
Signalman and navigator in WWII - he served in Korea too.
That makes sense. Boatswain's, Gunner's, Torpedoman's, and Signalman's Mates all wore their rate on the right sleeve until sometime in the 1950s. Dad was in the Navy, too, during WWII. He achieved the rate of Ship's Cook, 2nd Class on a Landing Craft, Tank (LCT) in the South Pacific. He didn't have much to say about his naval service, though, having survived the invasions of Peleliu and Okinawa. I salute your father for his service. Without the Greatest Generation, where would we be today?

What a nice photo to have of your dad! Thanks for showing.

Terry292":00w21993 said:
That makes sense.  Boatswain's, Gunner's, Torpedoman's, and Signalman's Mates all wore their rate on the right sleeve until sometime in the 1950s.  Dad was in the Navy, too, during WWII.  He achieved the rate of Ship's Cook, 2nd Class on a Landing Craft, Tank (LCT) in the South Pacific.  He didn't have much to say about his naval service, though, having survived the invasions of Peleliu and Okinawa.  I salute your father for his service.  Without the Greatest Generation, where would we be today?
My father did not talk much about his service either. He was on a ship that delivered Marines at the invasion of Guam. He was at Saipan just after the invasion. I know he served on the Gunston Hall at some point, because I remember the name. He was on some supply ship for a while that transfered things between ships.

Fr_Tom":ycjjerlm said:
Terry292":ycjjerlm said:
That makes sense.  Boatswain's, Gunner's, Torpedoman's, and Signalman's Mates all wore their rate on the right sleeve until sometime in the 1950s.  Dad was in the Navy, too, during WWII.  He achieved the rate of Ship's Cook, 2nd Class on a Landing Craft, Tank (LCT) in the South Pacific.  He didn't have much to say about his naval service, though, having survived the invasions of Peleliu and Okinawa.  I salute your father for his service.  Without the Greatest Generation, where would we be today?
My father did not talk much about his service either. He was on a ship that delivered Marines at the invasion of Guam. He was at Saipan just after the invasion. I know he served on the Gunston Hall at some point, because I remember the name. He was on some supply ship for a while that transfered things between ships.

Seems to be a common theme with regard to the WWII vets Padre. My Pap rarely spoke of it and when asked would give the shortest answer he could as if to change the subject. It seemed uncomfortable to him and something he didn't want to revisit. I'll respect that.

Cheers,

RR

What a wonderful photo Padre! I'm glad you have it and thanks for sharing it here.

That is a great photo, and a special one for you too. I have a cool portrait of my dad in the early 50's with a pipe. Maybe that should be a new post: photos of our dads with a pipe. I'll have to get a copy of mine.