a pipe for aromatic tombacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr pipe

Reaction score
In where I live pipe smoker have very narrow choice for smoking.only few aro brand(captain black)are available.what pipe brand or bowl shape are you offer for aromatic tobacco? Thanks very much.

Good evening and welcome to the BoB!

If you were talking about a straight Virginia, perhaps flaked, I recon you'd get a lot of consistent replies.  However, as aromatics tend to be blends, I'd suggest whatever pipe appeals to you most.  If it feels and looks right, it's the right pipe the job.

Cobs work well for aromatics. They have the ability to absorb a bit more moisture.

Welcome to the forum. So many pipes out there, and all of them will work fine with aromatic blends. Post up a picture of what you end up with.

I would have to agree with a corn cob pipe for Aromatics, as they tend to be very moist....

So you are Persian! Pleased to meet you. Welcome to the forum!

با درود

Meerschaum also gives a true taste of aromatics. That gets my vote.

In theory, an aromatic should do well in a pipe also suited to English blends -- large, shallow bowl,thick vertical walls, and a generous chamber diameter. You should be able to put your forefinger in the bowl up to nearly the second knuckle and not touch the sides. This type of pipe bowl should deliver maximum taste, cooly, with no need for heroic puffing. Sounds good, eh?

Since some aromatics smoke wet and lose taste halfway though the bowl, they tend not to be at their best in conical bowls with a sharp taper. (Hot, acrid and wet.) The remedy to this problem (if you're using a pipe with a conical bowl) is common sense -- if / when the smoke becomes unpleasant: Stop! Then let the works cool down and gently tamp before relight.

In practice, I've found that perfectly good theories don't always apply, and your own experience will be your best guide. The various "rules" for matching pipe shapes and tobacco need to be taken with cheerful skepticism.

Corn cob pipes are always a good starting point, but lots of aromatic tobacco has been smoked in briars. Meers are fine, too, but are high maintenance smokers in this lazy fellow's humble opinion.