A pipe in the pocket

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have said, the biggest danger is accidently breaking your pipe's stem. You can carry a pouch of tobacco and matches in your pants pocket, but not your pipe. What you need is a loose fitting jacket that has an inside or outside breast pocket for the pipe. In the good old days, at work, guys routinely carried their pipes in the outside breast pocket of their suit coats. Or you might keep your eye out for one of those multi-pocketed field coats that are popular among photogs and anglers.

I have a two pipe pouch with room for tools and tobacco, But I also use large sunglasses cases to keep my pipes and I keep all of it together in my backpack that is devoted to just pipesmoking. and I keep my bags of tobacco in a insulated beverage bag. that also fits in my backpack

I like a small bag to carry a few pipes if I need that many. I often put them in padded sleeves that I make for sfae keeping. I'll throw in whatever jars or tins I want to smoke, some matches, cleaners, czech tool, and call it good! I recently thought that a purse would be the perfect size for all that. A small camera bag would work.

When I go away from home I don't usually take my pipe because I make it a point never to be gone very long (agoraphobic), but on the occasion that I do, like visit my daughter once a year I put each pipe in a sock (clean one) and fold the sock as if there were two and pack them in a small hard black plastic case I have like one for a hand gun without the foam. I also have a larger one with the foam if I feel I need to take more then 7 pipes.
I NEVER put a pipe in a pants pocket and rarely in a shirt pocket, my luck is not that good. Its in my hand or in my mouth. ;) 

When I go camping or bushwalking I take my BC Vest Pocket, which I have had for nearly 30 years now.

http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/products/group/category/butz-choquin-vest-pocket/

They get a bad rap and they probably will trouble neophytes, but as a simple, near indestructible pipe they do the trick. You can clean them with a pipe nail, so in the short term no need for a pipe cleaner. Tobacco I just keep in a small tobacco tin.

For longer travels, as has already been mentioned, camera type bags are cheap and durable and often come with all sorts of lovely dividers and pockets and storage areas.

My only suggestion for arrangements for taking pipes to entertainment or public venues is to get used to not being able to.