a query on music.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
I am not nearly as good a writer as my wife is so please bear with me. It seems here lately my tastes in music have started to change a bit. When I was a bit younger I was really into rock and roll and metal and a bit of rap too... those days passed and I moved on to bluegrass and folk. I was raised on a steady diet of Souther Gospel and old country standards. I still enjoy listening to Bob Dylan, Damien Rice, Ryan Adams and others in that vein. But not like I used to. Now if I'm in the car I'd just as soon listen to classical radio than 99.9% of the crap I hear on the radio. (personal opinion) and if I'm not in the mood for music, which happens a lot these days, I'll turn on NPR. I love the jazz stuff they play at night... So here is my question after my ramblings. What are some good slow jazz or blues songs to start me off in that area and what are some of your favorite classical numbers to listen to if that is your thing? It just seems more natural to me to sit with my briar listening to something soothing than something stimulating if that makes sense. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks all.

Aaron.

My favorite Classical is Chopin,
favorite Jazz is Charlie Parker.
I still love Dylan's older stuff.
Lately, I'm into Brazilian.

For jazz start here http://kcsm.org/jazz91/listen.php Their style changes every couple of hours so you're likely to hear a wide variety of jazz. When you hear something you like, take down the artist name and song title and go here http://www.pandora.com/ This is the musical genome project where you create an account (free) and then when you enter that artist/song information into your station creator it begins playing songs that are strikingly similar for a myriad of reasons, and the next thing you know you're listening to a whole bunch of music you love but never knew you even liked. Sounds hokey but it works :!:

Aaron,

I've got quite a few suggestions, but Santa's on the way so I'll address your question in greater detail soon but for now see if this tune is of any interest. Stevie's blues will burn in my heart till I die.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4_uuU81cwVw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aaron, check out Brad Mehldau's work - specifically his "Elegiac Cycle" album. It's like a moody Beethoven/Monk blend. Incredible journey from beginning to end. We have something like 9 or 10 of his albums. Fantastic stuff.

For classical music, I always seem to gravitate to the early 20th century English (Ralph vaughn Williams, Elgar et al), and Mahler. For jazz, how can one not like early Miles Davis, like 'Kind of Blue'. I have become fond of Pat Metheny, esp his mid '80s works

Ditto on Miles Davis; especially "Kind of Blue" -- ultra classic. Also, check out Wes Montgomery (jazz guitarist extordinaire); John Coltrane, I also like Pat Methaney. The list could go on and on, with the likes of Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, etc, but these are great starting points. Kind of Blue is very moody and would go great with a favorite briar and blend!

For blues you can't hardly beat the great B B King. Eric Claptons tribute to Robert Johnson is excellent and of course the original Robert Johnson himself. For jazz I like Wes Montgomery, John Coltrane and for dixie land style Pete Fountain or Al Hirt. In the classical vein I love any Beethoven symphony, Ralph Vaugn Williams Sea Symphony, just about anything by Mozart and I confess, I am a Wagner nut.

I can't give you much guidance on jazz, but I have a couple of suggestions on blues.

Give Johnny Winter a try. Also, find some Muddy Waters. Listen to one of the hottest young guitarists around, Joe Bonnamassa. If you want to go way back, find some Robert Johnson or Mississippi Fred McDowell. And of course, check out the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan (and listen to Jimi Hendrix do "Red House.")

Hope that helps...

Mike

Aaron,
I'm like you on Jazz, I get an occasional fix on NPR at night, don't know enough to give any advice.
Ditto the comments on Stevie Ray Vaughan, also check out Rye Cooder for some excellent blues. I especially liked his music for the movie Crossroads (1986) kind of a korny movie but great music, check out the soundtrack.
I personally like Beethovans odd numbered symphonies (5,7,9) they are more spectacular, the even #'s tend to be milder (which you may prefer).
Hope this helps a bit.