A Question For Mr. Pease

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Hi Greg, When I order from C&D I have them "press" their blends, this seemsto enhance the flavors for me, my question to you, would your blends benefit or not from being pressed? Thanx, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

I heard if you ask PB nicely, he will put a couple tins in his back pocket while he drives around, and you will get one hell of a special press, unique flavor and all! :twisted:

I was thinking about trying to press an ounce or so of a blend at home, but wasn't sure how to do it with it drying out. I am asuming for and lasting effect it would have to stay pressed for a little while.

If I may....I think pressing has good and bad points. While it melds the flavors, and perhaps presents a more unified flavor, I think it may also inadvertantly ruin the individuality of each. Perhaps I'm off base....Someone want to make an experiment? :joker:

To make flakes and plugs they normally press at 20k to 30k pressure

- I forget how long they keep it pressed, but I know they lock it down with bolts, take it out of the press, and keep it under pressure for some time (could be a day, a week or longer - hopefully someone else will chime in...)

You can get a shop press to do 20k - not very cheap though

pipetongue1":6431j92u said:
Hi Greg, When I order from C&D I have them "press" their blends, this seemsto enhance the flavors for me, my question to you, would your blends benefit or not from being pressed? Thanx, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:
I think the question is "deeper" than simply being "pressed'... simply put... does pressing enhance GLP's tobacco blends?

The scenario I have is that Mr. Pease is in his "lab" pressing and testing his blends
icon_eek.gif
as apposed to "unpressed" blends... sorta the "white" uniform... Peter Sellers type
icon_lol.gif

My apoligies to Ken and Greg...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a fair number of pounds of the Dark Lord's finest - and I trust his decisions regarding the character of said product - key largo being a stand out flake, many others hard to imagine as flakes...

That having been said, I love flakes and would likely purchase an unholy amount if DL were to make more...

Were he to make some plugs I would surely need to shore up the shelving...

A more generic question might be:

"How does 'pressing' affect the taste of a tobacco?"

I use two choice NC Piedmont river rocks to press, but their combined weight of ~100 lbs is nowhere near what you would get were you to have access to a 20-30k lbs of pressure.

I put the tobacco inside two genuine Ziplocks and flatten out the package as much as possible. I put them directly on the floor and then put a piece of wood on top of the tobacco, and the rocks on top of the tobacco.

I leave this alone for 7-10 days, and when I retrieve the tobacco it is pressed into a semi-firm pancake which breaks up easily. Seeing this, I think I've done something to meld a blend's tobaccos.

i use a hydraulic press at work (bladesmith) for making mokume gane and damascus steel. they're relatively cheap to build, bottle jacks cost about 40 bucks for something that'll do 25 ton, and scrap steel to make a frame could be had for probably about 25-30 depending on where you're at. if you can weld or have access to a welding shop its easy enough to assemble too.

dunno if thats overkill for what you're trying to do, but may be useful.

I have it on good authority that much research was done somewhere in northern California on pressing experimental batches of high grade tobacco between a couple of 2X4's under the tire of a 74 Ford Pinto ;)

I have heard of people pressing their own blends using an old tobacco tin and some c-clamps. You just pack the tin full, cover it with plastic wrap, and put a loose fitting wood block on top. Three c-clamps give you a lot of pressure if you crank them down as hard as possible. If you make a small humidor from an Igloo cooler you could safely leave the whole apparatus in the cooler for a few months.

I've also heard of someone using an oven set on warm to steam the pressed tobacco for a few hours. They just put the tin with the c-clamps into the oven with a pan of water in the bottom.