A question regarding the locked sticky topic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showme1or2

Reaction score
Puff Daddy posted:

A message to all members

As we have mentioned in previous policy statements, we here at Brothers of Briar promote good will and conversation among members. Please understand that this applies to the private messaging feature as well. Our private messaging feature is not to be used as a means of sending antagonistic or caustic communications and the same rules governing the public board apply to that area as well.

The Brothers of Briar team.

I'm pretty sure I understand the meaning of the post, but I have a question or two for clarification. Will the IM system be monitored in any way? Also, if we do receive an antagonistic or caustic communication can that be submitted to the committee for review, just like it would be subject to if it were a public post?

I suppose since this rule is in place it must be for a reason (i.e. somebody done it). That is, after all, why it says "Do not use while sleeping" on hand held hair dryers, right? Or, "Caution: coffee is served hot," on McDonald's cups.

showme

If I may answer.

It's not possible for moderators to monitor the Personal Messaging system. Nor would we want to. It's private.

Also, your PM space is your space. If you receive a message that you do not wish to read, you have the power to delete it without reading it.

I did ask that any on-going disagreements to please be taken to PM. We are just clarifying that we would like any discussion in PM, to be a civil one.

Thanks for the clarification, Carlos. I was a bit worried for a second there, and not because I anticipate sending inappropriate messages. The mention of policy and rules that govern the board applying to PMs gave me the feeling that somehow they would be open to examination. I mean, who is really gonna know what is said in there, so why was it pointed out?

The bad part is, if someone gets a message you may not know the content until it is read. Sure, further messages could be ignored, but that first one could get ya.

Most of all, I guess, I just didn't understand why it was pointed out. Wondered if it might have been a problem.

showme

Yes it came up but I think it's over with now. We've been discussing the PM issue some more as well and things like you mention have come up showme. So I would say nothing is written in stone on this yet. Nor is anything else for that matter really. If something we try turns out to not work as expected we can always change.

I've ran other boards before but they were usually technical in nature. No one there really developed any personal relationships so none of this was an issue. So we are all learning as we go.

A fair question showme. First, I locked the sticky because it's just an announcement and did not wish it to become a catalyst for more argument. Again, just a simple "Be Nice" request.

Yes there have been a couple complaints. No we can't (and do not want to) read what is in the PM's. The system is not set up that way, it's just a simple board program. We can neither confirm nor deny the authenticity of a PM even if forwarded because anything can be cut and pasted. And again, we don't want to! The 'be nice' request was made as it's the easiest manner of trying to put an end to this, as in "Please do not harass another member either publicly or privately", period. So to your question asking why was it pointed out? Because there was a problem and even though it would be near impossible to enforce, we wish everyone to know that it is our desire that the spirit of our courtesy policy cover all areas of this forum.

Everyone has the simple abillity to delete a PM without reading it or to delete it and ignore the sender if they do not like it.

The committee would love nothing more than to have not a single thing to review :D We do not wish or desire to have to deal with other peoples problems but we have volunteered to monitor and discuss the occasional bad situation as it arises for the good of the board, not not out of any self interest or any other motivation whatsoever. We all have lives and these things take a lot of volunteer time. We have put in about a years worth this week :lol:

Peace and fragrant smoke to all!