A review of Prince Albert while drinking beer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headmint

Reaction score
Despite what my avatar shows, I am not drinking beer at the moment. It's like 8:30 in the morning and my college days are well behind me.

I enjoy both drinking beer and smoking pipes, so it's no surprise that I often drink beer and smoke pipes atthesametime.

I feel kinda silly saying 'rotation,' so let's just say I always have some Prince Albert in my tobacco drawer. I go through phases where it speaks to me and phases where it bores me shitless. It's a mellow, easy going burley smoke with a pleasant nuttiness. By no means is it a complex pipe tobacco, but it is what it is and it does what it does well enough.

Like I said, I often enjoy it and will smoke it daily, but sometimes it turns blah to me and I'll set it aside for weeks or months at a time. When I drink beer, however, I absolutely cannot stand it. Under the influence of barley, malt, hops, and alcohol, it gets all atrocious and becomes very, very cigarette-y. Probably 6 or 8 times, I've found myself smoking a bowl of Prince Albert and having a beer and screaming "YUCK!"

Don't ask me why I kept trying it with beer. Guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Those days are behind me now, however.

Cigarettes are among the nastiest, worst-tasting, vomit-inspiring objects ever designed by mankind, and my simple mind is blown daily by the fact that so many people smoke them willingly and without a gun to the head. I mean, people actually get in their cars, drive to stores, and buy cigarettes ON PURPOSE!

Wow.

I don't know why Prince Albert has this quality for me. I realize that the beer alters my palate, but to turn so completely into cigarette tobacco is kind of bizarre in my opinion. As I type this, I find myself becoming angry with my little red pouch of Prince Albert and want to open my tobacco drawer and shout at it "Why? Why do you have this quality?"

But I won't. That would just be weird.

My sister-in-law ONLY smokes cigarettes when she's drinking beer.

Go figure.

:face:

For the last ten years of my cigarette smoking life, I too only smoked when I had an open beer in hand...

I have to admit the only time I feel an overwhelming need for a cigarette is at a bar with a cold beer,,,,anything else in the glass and I'm fine,,,,old habits are hard to break,,,

I'm not a fan of the beer combo with my pipe. Last night I sat on the porch to enjoy a Shiner Bock accompanied by a bowl of Bobs Choc Flake. Not a good marriage for me anyway. I'd rather go back to a nice tawny LBV port as I'm not a scotch or bourbon guy. Ill ocassionally do a cognac and I can't imagine drinking Sambuca (my favorite with a German beer) with a pipe. Never smoked a cigarette in my life.

For me, the pipe/beer combo works best with aromatics. One of my favorites, Trout Stream, is yummy with a couple of beers.

Anyone else have good pipe/beer combos?

Headmint":5hx9n612 said:
For me, the pipe/beer combo works best with aromatics. One of my favorites, Trout Stream, is yummy with a couple of beers.

Anyone else have good pipe/beer combos?
By far the most magical pipe/beer moment for me was on a camping trip. I had a bowl of HH Vintage Syrian in a large GGG Radice Rind along with a glass of JW Lees Harvest Ale (Port Cask Aged). The Syrian Latakia and the port essence of the beer amalgamated into one seamless flavor that blew my mind completely!!! Never had any alcohol/tobacco combo like it before. Absolutely perfection!