A Shout Out for Cartaphilus

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Cartaphilus sent me a generous sample of two fantastic blends a couple of weeks ago and I have been too slow in thanking him by doing a review.

The first gift was a full pound of a fantastic blend called "Special". I must admit that I was quite taken aback by the quantity of this fine blend that he sent to me. Being very anxious to try it out I loaded up a Briar and lit her up.

This blend has a mixture of light and dark ribbons as well as some partially rubbed out flakes. I lit up the bowl with anticipation and the first flavor that hit me was Lakeland. I actually like Lakelands, so I was pleased with this. Immediately on the heals of the Lakeland I tasted Burly. And then Virginia. And then Latakia. And then Perique! What the hell?... it was as if I was smoking a bowl of every blend in my collection at the same time. Have you ever gone into an all you can eat buffet and wanted to try everything at the same time? Well, that is exactly what this blend is like. If you can't make up your mind, then Special is for you.  :)  Unfortunately, after a few more puffs my arch nemesis (inexpensive Burly blends) reared it's ugly head and began furiously burning my tongue.  :(  Oh well... my dreams of an endless supply of cheap tobacco are crushed...

The other blend that Cart sent me is Esoterica Dunbar from 2010! This blend is listed as a mixture of 7 Virginias and Perique. I truly was anxious to try this blend because I love VaPers and I know that Cartaphilus is a big fan of Escudo, which is one of my favorites.

Dunbar is a fantastic blend that is very Perique forward. In fact, I have trouble tasting the Virginias. If you ever wanted a VaPer with more Perique, this is the one for you. Don't get me wrong, I love it! It has a fantastic peppery Perique flavor and a reasonable nick. content. I have gotten through about half of the tin that Cart. sent me and will be disappointed when it is gone.

Thank you Cartaphilus for the wonderful blends. I love trying new tobacco.

Todd

Your very welcome Todd! I smoke it in a small 3/4" bowl and find that I get a bit of a fruity
taste in the back ground but, your right the Perique takes center stage but, not in a bad way as other blends I've tried. If you ever have a chance you should try Dorchester, less Perique but, just a wonderful flavor that is really hard to explain for me. Sort of a fruitiness with hay and fresh baked bread is the best I can explain it. Enjoy sir and savor, it might be a long time before I let anymore go.  :mrgreen:

Oh! and the "Special Blend" was just a joke, I never thought you actually smoke it. :fpalm: 

Nice. Way to go Cart. Always wonderful to see the generosity of folks around here.  :D