A sign of the times

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
I have a book that I like to visit often when I'm in need of a quick hit of some light hearted writing, Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson (1999), gifted to me by a thoroughly decent type. It's an easy read that has stand alone short chapters making it perfect for a quick dip.

This evening's chapter was titled Consuming Pleasures, where Bryson speaks of shopping being a way of life for some Americans, indeed, as he puts it, 'a national sport'.

He continues, '...three significant retailing developments in recent years have elevated the shopping experience to a higher and giddier plane. They are:

Telemarketing
Outlet Malls, and
Catalogues.'

I wonder what he'd make of the impact that the internet has on the retail world, and, say, Amazon? :suspect: :affraid:

Right you are Squire. Bryson is a most perceptive type isn't he. And he has a unique way with words as well...heh!

As you point out, much has changed since he penned that. I for one would relish a follow up to that one. I'm a huge Bryson fan!

I need to move this to the Book Shelf forum though. Seems a better place for it.

;)

Cheers,

RR

Wow. Still get telemarketing calls today. Heck I have got two robocalls from the D.C. area that was in Chinese. Not sure what that is about. Need a friend to translate that one next week out of curiosity. Outlet malls and even regular malls, haven't been to one in a very very long time. Internet pretty much killed the catalog. Still get P&C catalog but it isn't a buying trigger. Amazon owns a huge percentage of consumer commerce. I did a e-commerce site probably 10 years ago for a small business women and told her 5 years ago to just list on Amazon. The exposure is too great not too. A B&M I use to help out years ago uses Amazon for fulfillment because it is so cheap to do business with packing and shipping. Wonder what the next 20 years will be like . . .

Brewdude":qr7kn6tb said:
Right you are Squire. Bryson is a most perceptive type isn't he. And he has a unique way with words as well...heh!

As you point out, much has changed since he penned that. I for one would relish a follow up to that one. I'm a huge Bryson fan!

I need to move this to the Book Shelf forum though. Seems a better place for it.

;)

Cheers,

RR
Ah, yes, quite. Thanks old bean.