A SLEEPER VA !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
I opened a tin of Former's Cross Grain Flake that I got in my "bombardment" Friday evening and have to say, it is a SLEEPER !!  The blurb from the blender says: "A full bodied "sweet" traditional Flake tobacco prepared with only the finest grade of Virginia leaf with a pinch of Perique. Aged to perfection in order to bring out the best in this cool smoking, magnificent flake." and man they are not at all wrong !! It's not a Red Va based mixture but rather seems to be a flue cured Bright Va with a TINY,TINY  bit of  Perique added which really is almost non existant tatse wise with just a bit of peppery note way in the background with the Va's being the predominate note. NO burley or casing that I can discern, just some nice sweet Va's with the usual citrusy.hay notes one gets with good straight Vas. It's a sort of broken flake which rubs out well, lights easily and except for when I put the pipe down and let it go out would stay lit to the bottom if one smoked it un-interrupted as I don't !! And the concept of "bite" is NOWHERE to be found in this blend/mixture AT ALL !! Smokes cool. smooth and ends with a nice dry grey ash to the bottom !! I am IMPRESSED with it !! It's priced almost the same as my beloved RY so is reasonable IMHO. I will add that the bro who sent it to me had marked the tin 12/31/2010 so I can't say how a "fresh" tin would be as this one's got almost 4 years on it but I can't think it would be all that different. I HIGHLY recommend it !!  :twisted:

I wonder if it's just a different cut of their Bird's Eye Flake? If so, then I would no doubt enjoy it. Taste-wise, it would then also be similar to Germain's Royal Jersey Perique (although that is a much finer cut, almost a shag).

It's nothing like Royal Jersey Perique, FCG is way better than that.

I haven't had this in years, but Former Cross Grain is definitely a winner. A properly aged and prepared bowl is sweet and flavorful. The tins are cheap too!

Great review!
Bought some of the Former's Cross Grain Flake when it first came out in 2005 but stashed it away & never got to it.
After reading the glowing praises, I better dig it out from the depths of the cellar!

allyby":zpsvbirp said:
It's nothing like Royal Jersey Perique, FCG is way better than that.
Well, I did say that if it was like the Former Bird's Eye it would be similar to RJPerique. I opened my tin of Cross-Grain, and you're right -- nothing like the Bird's Eye/RJPer. Cross-Grain is much much darker than those bright mixtures. It's good, but for the summer, I would prefer the brighter/lighter blends.

I went through a couple of tins of the straight grain flake awhile ago and thought it was a good valued sleeper. Perhaps, I should revisit and see if it's to my liking.

juanmedusa":mtf4d4yn said:
I went through a couple of tins of the straight grain flake awhile ago and thought it was a good valued sleeper. Perhaps, I should revisit and see if it's to my liking.
My review was for the CROSS GRAIN FLAKE Do you mean that blend ?  :twisted: :twisted: