A solid, no nonsense order.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Couldn't pass this up. I've been so good lately (translation - Too broke to buy pipes) I decided to reward myself with a no frills, smart pipe and tobacco buy from todays smokingpipes update.

A nice Stanwell blast Featherweight, .9 of an ounce, a Sixten Ivarsson design. And 2 250 gram units of St James flake :D Probably some of the best value out there, these kinds of buys. Will provide a lot of great smoking pleasure for not a lot of dough 8)

A fine pipe and an excellent tobacco to go with it................... and you can get it in 250g tins :drool: :drool: :drool:

I believe they're cello wrapped and boxed in the same manner as the pounds are shipped in, but still a nice deal.

I'm jealous PD! I love Stanwell featherweights... want another one so bad. Hoping my wife gets me another one for my b-day in March. Congrats!

Brass logo = good.

Painted logo = bad.

LL":5kek2890 said:
Brass logo = good.

Painted logo = bad.
A point well taken and of value to everybody.

Still, if you'd said maybe "nice" and "not so nice" maybe it would have been more precise.

Case in point : Just recently got another old-timey Peterson billiard. Group 3 size, made (guesstimate) around 1930. An example of a budget line that was marked "Peterson/Dublin" with a number (0, 1, 2 or 3). A "O" was tops ; the one I got is a "3." Its briar is, aesthetically, substandard by anybody's measurement and the workmanship rates "slapdash wretched." It's the cheapest piece of made-down-to-a-rock-bottom-price-possible crap they would put their name on.

But it's a freaking great smoking pipe -- plain wood, fill and all. And stylish in a wry kind of way.

And for $28, even "budgety-er" than the Stanwell.

Sometimes, bad can be good.

:face:
HOPELESSLY DECLASSE

Does a seventy seven year old pipe smoke the same as a new pipe carved from a piece of briar that has been curing for seventy seven years?

Oh No! Not this, again!

My Yak PSPR&R'd Stanwell has neither brass nor paint. Should I shit can it?

The reason I mentioned the logo is only from a maintenance perspective. Larsen's brass inlay is bulletproof---never mind buffing, you can sand the sucker. Their painted logo isn't even a filled-in imprint, but flat and so goes "poof" as soon as it's touched. Total opposites. Hence "good" and "bad." (A filled impress would be, "not so nice" ;) )

Other than that it looks like a really cool little pfeife. I see quite a few Larsens of that shape & size class, and they are amazingly "complete." Great balance and hand feel, nicely finished, and drilling that's quite good.

Very nice PD!

I just picked up another regd. no. stanwell for $30 that I will get around to posting once I rejuvinate it.

This pipe will end up being a truck pipe so the logo thing is not a worry, it'll get roughed up a bit anyhow. These are perfect work pipes, super light, good smokers, stuff some Va flake in there and don't worry about her. A solid, no nonsense smoker.

When people ask the "Best bang for the buck" or "What should I buy on my limited income" questions, these Stanwell pipes at about $60 and solid Virginia flakes at $20 come to mind immediately. Doubt there's a better buy out there given the quality to cost ratio, and if I ever found myself without resourses to afford higher grades I'd gather a small set of these babies and be a happy smoker 8)

I love it PD! I firmly believe that Stanwells are the best smoking pipes for the money on the planet! I'd go even further to say that several of my Stans smoke as well or better than many Uber high grades that I've owned!

The SG 250 gr tobacco is a celophane wrapped box,,,,I need to buy more jars,,,

nice Stanwell,,,flowing lines with "style",,,,no argument, a solid deal,,,almost too nice to chew up in a truck,,, :pipe:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":wfn9j65t said:
I'd go even further to say that several of my Stans smoke as well or better than many Uber high grades that I've owned!
I have three Stanwells, and I have to force myself to smoke the other four pipes in my rotation.

JJPHOTO":mvbtrvic said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":mvbtrvic said:
I'd go even further to say that several of my Stans smoke as well or better than many Uber high grades that I've owned!
I have three Stanwells, and I have to force myself to smoke the other four pipes in my rotation.
Buy more Stanwells! :D

JJPHOTO":h556cuh3 said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":h556cuh3 said:
I gotta agree. For just plain someability (is that a word?) you can't beat a Stanwell. I keep going back to mine over and over again.

Well I just smoked back to back bowls in the new Featherweight, smokes great! Drilled very well, light as a feather, cleaner glides right to the bottom, pretty ring grain, $63 :D

Puff Daddy approved! :afro: