A solstice evening smoke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Well, that was a perfect smoke. It's unseasonably hot here in the UK at the moment with today reaching the highest temperature since the drought of '76; 34 degs C in London. To celebrate the solstice I fired up a cob and sat outside reading on a perfectly still and very warm evening with the sound of the country for company. Swifts, bats, cows and a whole range of garden birds were my company.

Where is the summer going? Still, we've a few months of summer sun left before the leaves start to turn.

A perfect evening--nicely done. I do love Blighty in the summertime...as with out here in Seattle the season can be so nice it gives you the necessary Stockholm syndrome to stick it out through the rainy winters!

I meant to ask as part of this thread, did you guys celebrate the solstice at all? Not sure my evening was a celebration as such, perhaps more a nod to the longest day and a smoke to enjoy the moment. So, what did you all do?

I'm not one to observe the solstice mate, in any meaningful way that is. Just had a totally normal day here in the Cascade foothills. And that in and of itself is enough!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Well, I got a lot done during the day... Then went to a Native American Festival for the Solstice. Danced around a bonfire, shared stories, ate from a potluck type of buffet, smoked a lot, watched the stars for crashing/burning up chunks of flotsam left over from when the solar system was younger in the atmosphere. Slept like a dead man when I got home.

Stick":pkfcv87n said:
I meant to ask as part of this thread, did you guys celebrate the solstice at all?  Not sure my evening was a celebration as such, perhaps more a nod to the longest day and a smoke to enjoy the moment.  So, what did you all do?
Better late than never? I ended up racing a deadline so missed our local Solstice parade, alas, but there were still a lot of people in costume and/or nude bicyclists when I ventured out later. We do it right in Seattle! Alas, I've been teetotaling of late but most years I splash some mead on the earth and make a burnt offering or three via the briar altar.