A Tale of Two Foxes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I think it was Mr. Huggett that sent these to me many moons ago, because he's the only one that I know who used an old plastic punch-letter label maker to label ziplock bags. :lol:

James Fox Campanile - I reached for this little sealed jar, packed some time ago to prevent it from succumbing to the desert elements in a swift, dry death via plastic bag. I couldn't even remember who made it. The leaf was still a bit moist, and had a extra ordinary smell to it. It truly smelled ordinary, but a little more so. This is good, because I am starting to lean less toward Latakia and heavily pressed or twisted leaf where just the smell was enough to give a nicotine high. Loading was less than a chore, as was lighting, which was good--certain tobaccos, like Beck's Old Limey Bastard, needs a blob of thermide to get going properly, it seems. Lighting a tobacco shouldn't be too much of a hassle, especially while driving (and it's hard to explain weaving into oncoming traffic to an officer). There's something "alive" about Fox's Campanile--and I like it. Tobacco with a spine is something less to do with pungency and if the nicotine body-slams you to your chair or couch--it needs to taste like it was alive at one point. So much has been done to de-tobacco our tobacco in certain areas, anything with a breath of life in it, that it once took on water, breathed, reached for the sun during the day and got sweeter by the chill of moonlit nights... it's not just poetry, it's sensory. It's a leathery, somewhat thick, sweet and edgy smoke, but it has a tough time getting to the point. The sad part is I didn't get a lot of sensory conversation from the stuff. It was like a good prospective client in a business meeting...handshakes were firm, eyes were met, offerings and counterofferings were proper, and a bright future laid ahead...

...but never called you back to sign the deal. A fox in senses, cunning, tricky, and ran away when the dogs barked and the horns blared. A little bastard to either keep chasing or let it live another day. There's plenty of them out there.

James Fox Dorisco - Imagine if Campanile had a sister who liked to read Shakespeare and did roller derby on the weekends. Dorisco is her. She's milder, but yet more clearly responsive to what she wants. Unlike the business prospect who flaked out, she shows up. She's a little rough around the edges, and that's cool. She's not hiding anything. She's also not trying to be something she isn't. Dorisco smells even less impressive than Campanile when in the raw, but yet a little more stoic and firm when in the pipe. The taste is kind of like that, too. Campanile has some spice to it, and Dorisco is rosepetal smooth. There's a lot of subtle floral components to the tobacco, and it's as refreshing as it is satisfying. It's clean, clean, clean. Personally, I'm good with strong tobaccos or light tobaccos, as long as they can give you what you want after a hard day's work or a big meal. Smoking for smoking's sake, either out of boredom or false expectation really irritates me. It's a treat to smoke, whether it's done once a week or six times a day, and should deliver nearly every time. Dorisco can do this, and not leave you overwhelmed, unimpressed or needing three good toothbrushings because it's so thick (Warrior Plug being an example of the most mouth-lingering tobacco on the planet)...

...so she's a bit of a roughneck but doesn't mind putting on a silk neglige... fascinating. A true fox, indeed.

James Fox makes good tobacco. That generic conclusion leaves me feeling a little uneasy, because running middle-of-the-road is why I gave up on McClelland tobaccos. It's a production process as old as time: "...make it inoffensive, don't make it stand out, and the masses will comply." For the same reason every car these days looks like a Toyota Camry (...not that there's anything wrong with that...) and every chain breakfast joint looks like a Denny's. Most people want things to be predictable, acceptable by their peers and is easily consumed without much ado. It also comes with "snobbery in mediocrity," which means if one criticizes Camrys, Denny's and McClelland, it's obviously due to the fact the critic is an automatic contrarian, or refuses to blend into a crowd with forceful planning. There are, again, those of us who merely want something to stand out, and not only for the simple fact of standing out, but for a good reason--because it is good. It's the same reasoning used by those who swear by Moons Over My Hammy as the greatest, un-eclipseable culinary invention man has bestowed on gastronomy. Who am I to argue?

Consume what you enjoy, and I will, too.

8)

Kyle Weiss":dq8btt97 said:
That generic conclusion leaves me feeling a little uneasy, because running middle-of-the-road is why I gave up on McClelland tobaccos.  

Consume what you enjoy, and I will, too.    

8)
Let's make a deal Kyle.. 8) Yeah, that's right. I want your "Moons over My Hammy" :lol:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t29663-glp-tins-for-trade

Kyle,

I've got to say, your last paragraph sums up my major annoyance with the world in general today. Everyone is satisfied with mediocrity, me, I want something a little better than that. I'm called a snob because I like nice things and reject the mediocre. I don't rub people's faces in it, glorying over them that I'm eating/drinking/smoking something nice. I share if I can, yet people sneer at me and call me elitist.

Bah, life is far too fleeting to partake in bad products, it's meant to be enjoyed.

Sorry if this is a bit philosophical for a tobacco review comment.

Cheers

Tim

One mans mediocre is anothers high end or even anothers bottom. One mans cieling is anothers floor it's all whose definition you want to adopt to fit how you view things !! Nothing really definative just personal opinions :twisted: :twisted:

D&B:  You're most excellent; something I wanted to point out.   :cheers:

Timbo:   Philosophize all you like.   You're a better man than I.   I get crap for smoking a pipe and being called a "hipster."  Then pipe smokers think I'm a jerk because they offer me to try their McClelland and I thank them humbly (but no thanks).   Then I find a guy with my taste in tobacco and all he can do is give my cobs the stink-eye as he flashes his White Spot at me.   Sometimes a grinning "GFY" comment is uttered, other times I just get up and walk away.  No, it seems pipe smoking is nearly a solitary man's hobby/habit/ritual these days, because if you do it even while on the Internet, there's always someone willing to marginalize your experience at the cost of your sanity for their ego.   Which, I might add, it's less gratifying to give someone the ol' finger "V" and tell 'em to go eat dingo chunder in writing than in person.   Needless to say, mediocrity seems to be the proactive result of reactive assumptions, which any way ya slice it--is a damn shame.   Life's too short for and is not complicated enough to entertain bullsh*tters, circular/repetitive "logic" and bad tobacco.   As your countrymen say:  "Good on ya, mate."  

Stick:   Muchas Gracias.  

Monblahblah:   :fpalm:    (as usual)  

8)

I feel like I could have written that last bit, but about people and motorcycles on a motorcycle forum.

:lol:

What's wrong with being an elitist? That's where we all really want to go. Just look at where all the blends that grandad used to smoke have gone. They're, um, still sittin' there behind the counter.

Blackhorse":ory67pf9 said:
What's wrong with being an elitist?
On my thermos:

20150218_072236-M.jpg

"I'm a Fancy Pants Elitist".

There's classy elitism, the elite rubes, and those that just DGAF. I bounce somewhere between all three depending on the scenario. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of it unless one is particularly concerned about social image. If you happen to like something, you like it, no apologies, no arguments, no philosophy. Opinions are like shit, they happen. Whether one pokes it with a stick and complains about how much it stinks or makes a sandwich out of it, or they simply walk away and find out from where that tempting smell of fresh baked bread is coming, it really ain't that complicated. :lol:

Motorcycles, tobacco...synthesizers. I've been a synth-audio geek for years. It seems that money is the illusion that masks what is best, followed by rarity and closely in third is mythos. I play a show and everyone wonders how I got that incredible sound--only to find my patchwork garbage and uncool model numbers sitting on the racks in disappointment. People are funny creatures. To this day, I'm scoffed at all angles in all areas. Keeps things real.

If you can't beat 'em, flip 'em off and grin the grin of satisfaction. My senses are more important than gratifying those of another. :mrgreen:

PS, this Dorisco is growing on me. And it has Perique in it.

8)

Love that water bottle there Dire.

Kyle, wise words to live by, if people cared less about what other people think about them, I'm sure we'd all be a heck of a lot more relaxed.

Cool you love old synths too, my current small collectoon consists of a Roland 202 and HS60 plus a Jomox xBase 09, sadly none of it plugged in currently due to space issues.

Cheers

Tim

Blackhorse":xacndlu7 said:
What's wrong with being an elitist? That's where we all really want to go. Just look at where all the blends that grandad used to smoke have gone. They're, um, still sittin' there behind the counter.
e·lit·ist

/əˈlēdəst,āˈlēdəst/

noun

adjective: elitist; noun: elitist; plural noun: elitists

1. a person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or dominated by an elite.

synonyms: aristocrat, blue blood; snob
"the elitists wield too much influence"

adjective
adjective: elitist
1. favoring, advocating, or restricted to an elite.
"the old, elitist image of the string quartet"

synonyms: aristocratic, snobbish, snobby, superior, supercilious

Sounds like a real member of the United Corporation of Amurica, some thing we ALL should aspire to !! :twisted:  :twisted:

Monbla, everyone. :slowclap:

Timbo, any recordings posted anywhere? :D

8)