A treasure...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
My wife's youngest brother is an artisan and a craftsman - he makes and sells cool bowls made from old lariat ropes, beautiful wood boxes, jewelry carved from antler, etc.   Years ago I saw some beautiful pipes made by Richard Seyfried from elk antler and he and I talked about them a couple times.  Recently a mystery package arrived with his address in the return; I opened it and was surprised to find this pipe and stand enclosed...

ifp37xrl.jpg

It's his first attempt at a pipe and I think it came out quite well!  A treasure to me for sure...

I've seen some nice antler bowls made for other smoking, but they weren't used for prolonged heat. I'm normally anti-coating, but in this instance, if it were me, I'd try pre-coating before smoking. Maybe some honey and ash or carbon scrapings from another pipe cleaning. I'm sure some guys on here have ideas for coating that are better than those. I don't think bone is as hardy as one might think. It burns.

I agree Zeno. The elk antler pipes a saw years ago had briar bowls fitted; I've also seen some antler pipes that say they have been coated inside with a concoction made of ground meerschaum, probably like the molded "meerschaum" pipes some makers have offered. Until (and IF) I decide to so something similar I think this one will just be for display.