A very Metal Christmas tune

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Not what you will all be accustomed to I am sure, I wanted to share with you a tune by HALFORD (Rob Halford of Judas Priest).

Don't know what it is but this version of 'Oh Holy Night' makes me cry like a baby, hope you like it......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7B6Flt8Bkis" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you like that you can listen to the whole Winter Songs album here:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lD_j1xx2TUw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A bit of history here, as a kid I was raised in various kids homes, I never had any toys or friends or family, on one particular day I found 50pence outside the penny arcade in the Town, I was 14 years old, I had no idea what to spend this 50p on. I walked past a Record store and a small cassette caught my eye, I had no idea what the music was, the cover art captivated me, it was this:
Judas_Priest_SforV.jpg

I ran all the way back to the kids home and with great excitement showed it to my 'Special', he told me he had a mono tape deck in his car if I wanted to listen to it, he let me play the tape whilst sitting on the drop-down boot of his car. When the sounds from this tape came out of that speaker I felt something stirring deep inside of me, I had never heard music like it before and this guys voice tore my heart out, I fell head over heals in love with this guys voice. Probably doesn't seem like much to most folk but prior to that day I had felt connected to absolute nothing or no-one, this guys voice seemed to be reaching out to me in the cold Christmas eve wind, holding me securely yet tenderly. To this very day I listen to that album and it takes me rocketing back to the boot of that car and that mono cassette deck, the guy singing was of course Rob Halford. Although I have never met the guy I feel closely connected with him, I will always remember him as the guy who made Christmas mean something to me, finally I no longer felt entirely alone in the world, I had made a friend, in my heart at least.

Have a wonderful Christmas folks, I hope with all my heart something just as magical happens to you this Christmas as it happened to me in 1982, I love you guys, take care my friends.

klause":8hwimsj7 said:
Great story, Mate.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.
Hope you had a great day Jason, peace and good will to you always.  :heart: 

Dragonslayer":elordlqt said:
Forever \m/

Merry Christmas!

Craig
A fellow Defender of the Faith, awesome, \m/ forever.

Hope you are having a superb day, peace be with you.  :sunny: 

Great story Briar. It's always amazing to me how the right music reaches into your heart and touches you in ways don't expect.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a happy new years.

Great story Kirk. Music? Not bad, not bad at all... :) 

AJ

No video, but a song from a good friend of mine, Ronnie James Dio passed away in 2010. Ron and Ronnie were actually very good friends, and Ron sang at his memorial service. I've met many so-called rock stars, but none was a complete surprise as Ronnie. I first met him with Rainbow with Richie Blackmoore (1977), but became friends with him when he sang with Black Sabbath. During his years with DIO I was able to spend days at a time with him traveling, *cough* partying and having many, many deep and great conversations. He actually was a very spiritual person and loved history and baseball. He would run over during a song when a game was on and ask the score lols. I could go on for hours and pages on my friendship with Ronnie and his wife Wendy, here’s a metal Christmas song he recorded.

Ronnie James DIO God rest ye merry, gentlemen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGoZEq654Kc&feature=related

Craig

P.S. Just to add to the "doctor" thread... If he would have gone to the doctor more often and had been scoped he would be alive today if his stomach cancer was diagnosed earlier.

swhipple":d8ifyy6p said:
Great story Briar. It's always amazing to me how the right music reaches into your heart and touches you in ways don't expect.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a happy new years.
Thank you swhipple, hope your Xmas was an excellent one and that the New Year proves to be one of peace and happiness for you.

ajn27511":rzfc12tg said:
Great story Kirk. Music? Not bad, not bad at all... :) 

AJ
Thank you AJ, very pleased you liked the music, good for the spirit mate.  :sunny: 

Dragonslayer":iw82m76j said:
No video, but a song from a good friend of mine, Ronnie James Dio passed away in 2010. Ron and Ronnie were actually very good friends, and Ron sang at his memorial service. I've met many so-called rock stars, but none was a complete surprise as Ronnie. I first met him with Rainbow with Richie Blackmoore (1977), but became friends with him when he sang with Black Sabbath. During his years with DIO I was able to spend days at a time with him traveling, *cough* partying and having many, many deep and great conversations. He actually was a very spiritual person and loved history and baseball. He would run over during a song when a game was on and ask the score lols. I could go on for hours and pages on my friendship with Ronnie and his wife Wendy, here’s a metal Christmas song he recorded.

Ronnie James DIO God rest ye merry, gentlemen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGoZEq654Kc&feature=related

Craig
Heya Craig,

I was devastated when Ronnie passed, I adore his music, got every album he ever did on the HD, fortunaely I had his albums on the external HD when the puter up'd and died on us. Must have been awesome getting to spend time with Ronnie, he was indeed a fascinating man, I would have enjoyed spending time with him immensely. I have his music so in spirit I get to still be with him in many ways, that song is the business.  :cheers: :sunny: 

I'm a big Priest fan, still have that album. We saw that tour at the Baltimore Civic Center. Krokus opened, we had six seats, two up front. My buddy wanted to sit up front for the new band, Krokus, so my wife and I had the 4th row seats for Priest - awesome show.

I hadn't heard the Winter Songs album and just bought it, thanks for the tip!

You're in for a real treat with Winter Songs Al, although it's HAFORD as opposed to JP Rob is on top form, have you checked out the Nostradamus Album by JP, is a seriously Epic album, so haunting and emotional, can't get enough of that one.  :sunny: 

Briar Spirit":7dmw0ov7 said:
You're in for a real treat with Winter Songs Al, although it's HAFORD as opposed to JP Rob is on top form, have you checked out the Nostradamus Album by JP, is a seriously Epic album, so haunting and emotional, can't get enough of that one.  :sunny: 
I dialed it up in the car, we spent three hours driving today getting to/from the airport. My wife even liked it. I tried Nostradamus, but it just wasn't my cup of metal.

riff raff":gbbj4ruj said:
Briar Spirit":gbbj4ruj said:
I dialed it up in the car, we spent three hours driving today getting to/from the airport. My wife even liked it.  I tried Nostradamus, but it just wasn't my cup of metal.  
I hear ya Bud, I hated Nostradamus the first time I listened to it but after giving it a couple more chances I really love it now, the boys really did good on that one for me.

That is awesome you good Lady enjoyed Winter Songs.  :cheers: 

Things finally slowed down enough to listen to these songs this morning. Very nice, I always liked Judas Priest. Awesome story, man. I really hope all your Christmas are as good if not better than that one in 1982! It's funny how you can connect with a musician and it makes you feel warm and cozy inside years afterwards just when you happen to hear a song or even a piece of a song by mistake. It's one thing for me when I put an old album on and when I'm flipping channels on the tv, and wait....What was that?? Oh cool I remember that. And then my mind goes back to some place forgotten. I feel the same way I did then for a moment. One of my favorites was The Sex Pistols. When I catch a piece of an old Pistols song it really brings this strange Sid Vicious sneer on my face. Again great story, Brother. Hope your Christmas was great and you have a joyful New Year. Thanks fer the tunes, Bro!!