A visit with St. Bruno

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I pulled out my nearly one year old 50 gr pouch of St. Bruno Flake by Ogden's so that I might have a chance of keeping it smokey in the pipe made from Morta and Beech from Germany by Pipemaker Manfred Hortig.

36750227562_e17c27b2c2_z_d.jpg

The top third was filled with creamy smoke with a definitive citrus note and medium vitamin N as I continued on through the smoke evidence of warm prune came through with the citrus note still present in the background. The smoke lasted just under an hour and the pipe is now resting where it will stay until this afternoon when I will pop the 4 oz tin of St. Bruno from 1995 that came in the mail, I will then give my review of what 22 years of aging has done to this wonderful tobacco.

36524667940_db1a4b6f6b_z_d.jpg

At some point I will purchase the US version offered by Mac Baren and see how it fares in comparison, if it's as good as the Ogden's rendition we here in the US can be assured of enjoying a wonderful tobacco our brothers across the pond have experienced for quite a long time, warmest regards.
banjo

36750232612_f45d1e6e15_z_d.jpg

When I lived in Europe for a few years I had the pleasure of smoking St. Bruno Flake fairly often. Fresh it was a wonderful smoke, very similar too me how Banjo described this flake and enjoyed his last bowl full. But, I did notice with just a few years of aging this wonderful blend had even more complexity.

Banjo, now I'm looking forward to reading your review of your well aged
St. Bruno Flake and ( when purchased ) if the US version offered by Mac Baren is even fairly close to the Ogden's blend.

Greatly appreciate your opinion when it comes to comparing the two, thanks much.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Well I popped the 22 y/o tin of St. Bruno and the seal had remained intact. The tin note was unbelievable, nothing at all like the St. Bruno pouch which I found out was actually made for Ogden by Mac Baren and has been sold in the UK for over 1 1/2 years.

36786849741_585e263991_z_d.jpg

I felt like I had uncorked a heady vintage Porto or Madiera. The creaminess I had in the first pipe was not what I experienced with the 22 y/o, it was thick, almost meaty with a Porto/Madiera note, as the pipe progressed it reminded me of the rich taste of warm New England Brown Bread. Further into the smoke hints of toffee, cinnamon and wine tickled my palate. I normally don't smoke longer than 20 minutes at a time since I can often get bored but not so with this tobacco it changed flavor profiles often and once and again you got that back note of citrus.

It was over an hour before the pipe went out probably the longest one held my attention as I did some chores around the garden, when it finally extinguished itself I was sad that it had ended but resolute in knowing I had to preserve this tobacco so I could treat myself again and leaving it in the tin was out of the question.

36786872901_73f136ffd9_z_d.jpg

So there you have it, my report on keeping it smokey with the 22 y/o St. Bruno, I have photos of the pouch and tin tobaccos as well as what came out of the pipe and of course me smoking, regards.
banjo

36786857531_6d6c8bfac0_z_d.jpg

Banjo,
Appreciate in detail, your description of the 22 yr old St. Bruno Flake. Seriously, I believe I had the biggest " O " in quite a while...okay...stop laughing.

I'm sure you put the remaining flake in the proper size Mason jar for future enjoyment. What you enjoyed today will NOT come close to the Mac Baren offering I'm sure!

I was recently gifted some Germain's Rich Dark Flake, which I intend on enjoying on this special coming Sunday :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!