A Walt Cannoy on E-Bay

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
These are pretty rare folks. Cannoy was an amazing pipe maker. Some would call him a pipe sculptor. He won one of the P&T Magazine carving contests making a briar rose pipe with a green lucite stem tamper. To call him gifted is to say that George Washinton was a good American. Sadly, his name is now known more for his bad dealings with customers rather than his brilliant work. The last I knew he was homeless or close to being on the streets of Winter Haven Florida. His tools were all sold and he no longer makes pipes. A real American tragedy.

One of his older pipes has surfaced on e-bay and it's ending tonight. I'd say the price for it is more than fair considering the amount of work that obviously went into it. These are destined to become more desireable as the years go buy. It's not really my style or I'd be all over it. Below the link are a few pics of Cannoy's in my collection....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200468600274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

MoreWhatsDockSmokingPics013.jpg

MoreWhatsDockSmokingPics009.jpg

Cookesnstuff015.jpg

Cookesnstuff017.jpg

wc-left.jpg

I love Walt's twisted, dark style. That's a pipe I'd like to have but 1. people were already on it like vultures and 2. the auction has been pulled already. Must be some Chinese guy offered him a bag of $100's for it. :evil: I hear there were a couple guys like that cleaning out the tables at the Chicago show.

Damn, on further inspection it looks like it did go 7days, just finished up last night. I would have doubled the final bid on that sucker had it seen it in time. A guy on SF just posted he won it. !$%(!($*!# :x

I've been dying to attempt to make one of those melted wax beauties ever since I saw one by Dunhill - this is only the second I have seen and is every bit as impressive.