A Worhorse Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas james

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Just opened an 04/06 McClelland 5100 Red Cake bulk. It is a flavorful, moderately sweet, cool, dry, medium bodied va. Would be a great all day no nonsense smoke as it does not require a focused effort and is very tollerant if over smoked. Available in bulk at very good prices at www.smokingpipes.com. 2oz 4oz 8oz 16oz and 5 lb quantities. McC ketchup is present in tin aroma but only minimally and does not present itself in taste or smoke aroma. The ketchup thing is usually a big deterrent for me so when I say "minimal", it is just that. Burns somewhat quickly, but, not hot. Combustion is very consistent and thorough. Few relights. Nice dry ash remains. No wet heel. No gunk. Pipe is left fresh and sweet. A few bowls in a tart pipe, english/balkan/va/other, would be "remedial." Almost a burley like fullness and base line sweetness to it. Nice full smokiness (volume wise). Would be a great base to add burley or perique to, maybe even a little c-lat.

Very worthwhile!

:king: / :clown: tj

Thread title should be "Workhorse" not "Worhorse" not "Whorehouse"

:sleep: tj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,word butcher!

I opened some 5100 a while ago. Very much of what you describe. Personally, in the McClelland bulks I detect none of the "ketchup" nose odour (my understanding that this is the McClelland deterrent to fungi, whatever this ketchup is and it doesn't last long). But I must agree that age does wonder with it.

If you have some stashed away, try a sample and report back here.

:sunny: Paul

first off let me say i am no virginia smoker well not much, BUT that blend is one i do keep smoking and do enjoy from time to time, not daily but a couple times a month, at a pipe show a few years back i bought a von erck pipe and he had a couple tins of 5100 that some one had tined 13 years ago,he let me fill my new pipe out of his tin and that stuff smoked like candy. i do got a couple pounds of it aging, and often wonder how long until it is also like candy.

Georgetown Tobacco's His Master's Choice, seems to be an aged version of 5100, or at least similar. Very good stuff.

I put a pound of this up back in July of O6. It's getting nice and dark in the jars, but I'm waiting for the 2 year anniversary to crack one open. My fourth of July smoke??? :bom:

Well... I must say, this certainly isn't where I expected this thread to go when I read the title...

JT :pirat:

I have some 5100 in my current collection and I like it well enough. However, I received a sample pack for Christmas a few years ago from pipesandcigars.com which included a blend called Old Red. It was reminiscent of 5100, smooth, a hint of the sweet side, etc but seemed to be more flavorful the whole way around. If you're a fan of the 5100, you might want to give Old Red a taste and see what you think. Tasty stuff.

thomas james":52arap2h said:

:sleep: tj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,word butcher!
I wasn't wearing my glasses and I initially thought it was the latter. I thought, "Mixture 79?"

Even' All, i have some dated 10-03, it's almost black now, don't smoke it much, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :santa:

I've been meaning to try this, thanks for the good review, makes me want to pick some up when the new year rolls around and I recover from Christmas, financially speaking. :pipe:

Hi TJ,

I've a few pounds of this in the cellar and I do like it. I think it monochromatic, but I do like it. I will soon mix some with some Percy Martin perique and jar that for a while. I also like 5100 to tone down an aromatic now and then (tho I am not much of an aro smoker, I do smoke them especially in the Fall, outside when crowds are near and for the lovely Mrs. Clemons.

Anyway, I do agree that 5100 is a workhorse blend ... by itself or mixed with other blends.

Cheers,

TC

Smoked 5100 for years and I still enjoy it very much. Aging of this stuff does wonders and I always keep a pound or so in reserve.

Good stuff.

Another I smoke is Old Masters... a burley/Bright Va blend. I love it and it is my go to blend for all day smoking.

Robert

thomas james":ldza7xyd said:

Teej:

If you click the "Edit" button on your original post, you should be able to edit the title of the thread. That will enable you to change it to "Whorehouse", "Whoredog", "Whorsepoop"...whatever. :mrgreen:

:joker: