A world turned upside down

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim my friend, I just found out about your daughter and reading through this I was deeply touched by her strength, and the strength of her devoted father. I keep you and her in prayer and will hope for continued improvements.
Be well,
Mike.

MichaelM":233j5m8k said:
Jim my friend, I just found out about your daughter and reading through this I was deeply touched by her strength, and the strength of her devoted father.  I keep you and her in prayer and will hope for continued improvements.
Be well,
Mike.
If I may add to what Mike said, there will also be a much stronger bond between you and your daughter. From one who knows. Once again, best wishes and prayers to your family.

Quick update. Been a couple of long days here. Katies short term memory is just a bit worse than before. Other than that her mental state is just fine. The big issue is the calf muscles shrunk while she was in the hospital. She can't walk unless it's on her tippy toes. Needless to say that is quite uncomfortable for her. That's the big issue being worked on by PT and at home. Hopefully she continues to progress rapidly. Would be really nice if she was done with PT by the time we have to go get her brother. He has been in a mental health facility in Utah for the last year. He is coming home on the 2nd/3rd of February. Lots to get done and not much time do it so I'll run.

Thank you all
Jim

She has an appointment tomorrow with the neurologists. We are hoping to finally get an answer to what caused the seizures that started this whole nightmare. She is feeling so much better though! This afternoon she spent an hour volunteering at the library before her dialysis treatment. She informed me tonight when she went to bed that I am to wake her at 230 this morning so she can go with me to do her newspaper routes. She knows she can't actually do the deliveries but she wants to be back out there and at least keep me company while I do her job. This kid is amazing! To be so sick and her only concern is getting back out there to serve others. God bless you all for your prayers for her.

Thank you
Jim

huffelpuff":et8qtb2b said:
She has an appointment tomorrow with the neurologists. We are hoping to finally get an answer to what caused the seizures that started this whole nightmare. She is feeling so much better though! This afternoon she spent an hour volunteering at the library before her dialysis treatment. She informed me tonight when she went to bed that I am to wake her at 230 this morning so she can go with me to do her newspaper routes. She knows she can't actually do the deliveries but she wants to be back out there and at least keep me company while I do her job. This kid is amazing! To be so sick and her only concern is getting back out there to serve others. God bless you all for your prayers for her.

Thank you
Jim
Sure like reading these positive accounts Jim. Good for Katie, she sounds like a fighter with a great attitude!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Well it's official. Katie has epilepsy. Something about the combination of being uremic, bronchitis and who knows what else triggered her first seizure and so now anytime she is sick or overly tired she's going to be prone to having more seizures. She is on kepra and it's working well for her so far. Unless things change she will be taking this one for the rest of her life. PT early in the a.m. so off to bed. Thank you all

Jim

The Epilepsy Foundation is a great resource.

1-800-332-1000 is the number for the Epilepsy Helpline. They offer "Help, Hope and Support"

Most importantly, your brothers are here for you. Anything I can do to help, you let me know.

No storm must be weathered alone.

Yes knowledge truly is power. It certainly makes taking care of her easier when you know what's happening. She has absence seizures so certainly not as bad as it could be. Fortunately mom has been an EMT for over 30 years. My background doesn't hurt either. Lots of pre-med classes were part of my time working in the forensics lab. Unfortunately my area of specialization was the bones.

Jefe thank you so much for the link. There is really great information there. The support from you all has been more help than I can tell you.

This was certainly not an issue we ever expected to be dealing with but I would rather deal with this than lose her.

Jimp

Jim

While it's not necessarily great news about the Epilepsy diagnosis, still it could have been far worse. At least they have a positive diagnosis finally and that can be treated.

If it's any comfort to you, one of my classmates in HS had Epilepsy yet lived a full and active life. In fact he was one of the more popular kids, had plenty of friends, and did just about anything he wanted with the exception of being able to drive a car. His seizures were under control with the meds and he went on to be active in sports. Don't remember him ever having a seizure at school, nor was he ostracised for it.

He always displayed a positive "can-do" attitude which it seems that Katie also has. So she has that going for her!

Cheers,

RR