? about 5 piece reamer set

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog Bruce

Reaction score
Anybody familiar with the '5 Piece Multi-Fit Tobacco Pipe Reamer Tool Set'? It can be viewed @ Pipestuff.com under pipe tools. I have a senior pipe reamer which is adjustable, but it doesn't get the bottom of the bowl well at all. Not sure about that plastic T-handle on this Multi, but pretty sure if it busted, a socket will fit those reamer bits. They look like they will do a better job on the bottom of the bowl. I know, sandpaper and a dowel or drill bit, but I'm lazy. :pig: The senior only opens to about 7/8 also, which isn't quite enough for a couple of these pipes I have, although they are so big they may be for trade one of these days. Any feedback?

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget!

If one of the reamer heads fits the bowl, they work great. But, with only four sizes to choose from, there will always be pipes they don't fit. And, it's possible to over-ream easily and dig into wood if you mis-judge the taper of the bowl.

I use the Savinelli triangular reamer, but don't usually recommend it. I've seen a lot of bowls damaged from overzealous application of this tool; it's got to be used with care and caution, but it's the only thing that I know of that will work in any pipe, and will allow careful re-shaping of the cake at the bottom of the bowl.

I agree that the Senior is a great idea, but it can leave a dimple at the bottom of the bowl where it's blades don't meet. It's perfect for those who rarely smoke to the bottom. ;)

I've got an old reamer with four thin, slightly flexible blades that are sprung at the top, and joined at the bottom. The idea is that it will self-adjust to any pipe, providing the bowl's contour isn't excessively tapered. It's a great idea, but in application, it falls a little short.

There have been dozens of new-fangled reamers, and they all seem to disappear almost as quickly as they appear. The fact that the Pipe-Net, t-handled reamer has been on the market continually for a couple decades is a testament to the fact that it does, at least in some pipes, perhaps most pipes, work well. The price is certainly right!

-glp

There's a good market here. It can't be that hard.

I'm sure that PSPR&R can come up with something. Probably already has and is holding out on us.

The Arabs probably bought the technology like they did with the water carbureter.

Dave, thats the same set-up I was looking @. Not sure if same manufacturer or not. G.L. has got a point about them not being adjustable, but will come closer than anything else I've personally seen to fitting most pipes, and I do like the way they will shape bottom of bowl. Thanks for tips G.L., I havn't damaged a pipe yet, but _have_ screwed up a few harley parts($$$) in the past. I plan on being extremely gentle. By the way Greg, will be trying my first G.L. Pease tobac. this PM, Filmore, first time for a Va-per also. I'll let ya know what my novice taste-buds think. :)

Bd Bruce

GL is right it wont fit all pipes
Thats why I keep a reaming knife around made from a reshaped old fishing knife you have to be carefull but it works