Acacia wood pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of acacia being used for pipes. There are many species of acacia some of which are toxic. Without knowing which species was used I would be very leery of smoking one. I would stick with smoking pipes made of woods that are well established as safe for smoking pipes.

Wayne_Teipen":hv1qh8g1 said:
I've never heard of acacia being used for pipes. There are many species of acacia some of which are toxic. Without knowing which species was used I would be very leery of smoking one. I would stick with smoking pipes made of woods that are well established as safe for smoking pipes.
Couldn't have said it better.

8)

C'mon!!! You're all just a bunch of girly men!
What's wrong with a little skin / lung irritation or splinters that will turn septic? :affraid:

What's up Wayne?
Long time, no speak..........

Altho I tend to agree with what has been posted and I don't know if I'd smoke out of it either, but according to wiki (which can be wrong) it is only the leaves that are toxic, the rest of the tree is used medicinally and the berry's, seeds, nuts, what ever they are can be, and are used for food, and they burn the wood for firewood
looks like oak to me

DoverPipes":8pprdkws said:
What's wrong with a little skin / lung irritation or splinters that will turn septic? :affraid:

What's up Wayne?
Hey Sean. I've been lurking in the shadows but not in a creepy way. :lol: I've only had time lately to strafe looking for topics that peak my interest. Now that the St. Louis Show is over and I've got some pipes in stock I'm taking a breather for a couple weeks.

Wayne_Teipen":na5p7ft8 said:
DoverPipes":na5p7ft8 said:

What's up Wayne?
Hey Sean. I've been lurking in the shadows but not in a creepy way. :lol: I've only had time lately to strafe looking for topics that peak my interest. Now that the St. Louis Show is over and I've got some pipes in stock I'm taking a breather for a couple weeks.
Miss hearing from ya Bro! :mrgreen:

So, I have recently read that Briar is considered the go-to wood for (smoking) pipes.
Is the Cats Claw Acacia a briar that can be used?
“Tons” growing in my yard and around. Don’t know why Inused “, it is LITERALLY tons, not figuratively.
There are some really great elbows from branches off the trunk that would shape beautifully.
This is the one that grows in the high desert (Mojave) in Joshua Tree.

OPINIONS/facts?

Make one and see how it smokes! I have made some great pipes from Mulberry, Cherry, and Walnut and all were done on a harbor freight lathe. There are some really good pipe making videos on YouTube.

Cutting stems isn't too hard or they have pre- made stems you can buy.