Activities to keep your mind sharp?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
What do you older guys do to keep your mind sharp?

I work full-time, read non-fiction books, play online correspondence chess, plus a couple more things. My doctors strongly suggest I keep working as long as I can.

You?

They say doing highly complex tasks, like learning to fly an airplane, are the best cognitive exercises. Of course, not everyone can afford to learn to fly a plane, but it's just an example. Trying to remember your grocery list from memory isn't enough. It has to activate different areas of the brain, interconnecting them and making them play together.

Do any of you memorize things to keep sharp? Poetry? Quotations? Even dirty limericks or jokes?

Memory exercises would only serve to remind me that I’ve always been lousy at memory exorcises. ADD and memory stuff are not the best of friends. Except perhaps visual memory. I’m absolutely a visual learner and those memories really stick. Show me a face and I can tell you who, where & when…but can’t put a name to it.

A few months back I began playing correspondence chess again. I've never been very good at chess. I'm playing in my second tournament this year and so far I've won 3 of my 6 games and lost 1 game. Still 2 games to finish but if I lose them both I'll feel that I did well for being so rusty. I may sign up for another 6 game tournament soon. They're fun and that's all that really matters but they make me think too so that's also good.

And I'm still working full time. I'm a bit afraid of retiring and what it will do to my mind especially after what my doctors have said about continuing to work.