Adam West, RIP.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
One of the top reasons I became a cartoonist was the influence that Adam West's Batman had on me when the show appeared on television in 1966. The first episode was a big event in our neighborhood, and reception we gave it was loud and energetic. I got to meet Adam West some years back, and when I told him I knew I would become an artist when I saw him as Batman, he smiled, leaned back in his chair with a smile, and said, "That's very refreshing to hear. Over the years, I've had a lot of people tell me they became a private detective or a policeman because of me, but this is the first time anyone has told me they became a cartoonist because of me." We chatted for about ten minutes. I'm glad I had the chance to tell him that, RIP, Adam.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OArNisTaVlY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Great story!

I think he got a bad rap at time for over the top acting, some would say cheesy, acting style.  That is too bad. I think alot of people did not understand that that was the way he was supposed to play that character.  All of the actors in that series played it up because that is the style they were going for.

R.I.P.

Fight'n Hampsters":q1ypnzcl said:
Great story!

I think he got a bad rap at time for over the top acting, some would say cheesy, acting style.  That is too bad. I think alot of people did not understand that that was the way he was supposed to play that character.  All of the actors in that series played it up because that is the style they were going for.

R.I.P.
Couldn't agree with you more. Right after Batman, he played a villain in an episode of The Big Valley, and was very effective and believable. I liked him in the Mavericks he was in, too.

An entertainment icon. Whether you loved him or hated him, everyone knew who he was.