After Four Years Finally got my First Turkey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I finally did it. After four years of trying to get a fall Turkey here in Arizona I did it. My hunting buddy and I have been trying the same hunting unit four years now. Spent I don't know how much money on fancy shotgun, laser sight, camo clothes, hunting boots, ghillie suit, calls, blind and who knows what all else.

First year: not even a sign of one. :( :scratch:

Second year: saw three cross the dirt road about a quarter mile away. :shock: :pale:

Third year: seen them everywhere, they walked within twenty yards of us while standing in front of the truck looking at the topo maps (did I mention shotguns in truck, and turkeys are one hell of a fast bird). No shots. :evil:

Fourth year: season started on Friday morning, my buddy gets up at the camp site at six in the morning, we decide to scout around where we have seen them every year (about a mile from camp), take shotgun with about three shells each, wearing levi's, tennis shoes, baseball cap, and we did manage to put on a camo shirt. Drive down dirt road and make a right turn. About run over a flock of fifteen. :shock: Jump out of truck and take a shot, miss and they scatter to hells creation. :roll: Jump back in truck and race to the gravel pit/watering hole that we think they were headed to. When we get there we can hear them clucking all over the place. I go about 150 yards from truck, down a hill and sit on a log. Couple of trees around me but pretty much out in the open. Hear the turkeys in front of me going to my right. Know my friend is to the right. Decide I am going back to the truck and get my slate call to see if I can call them in. Turn to my left and what is thirty yards away from me up the hill. :shock: The whole flock. Turn on the laser sight, aim for the head, blam, nail him square, :cheers: they run off right into my hunting buddy who is yelling at me wondering what happened. Blam, he gets his. :cheers: It is now about eight-thirty in the morning (on the first day of the season). Back in camp by nine, smoking a victory cigar and drinking a shot of Scotch.

The turkey that I got did get his revenge on me. I had to walk up the hill and give him a final shot. I am standing uphill, and don't put one foot behind me when I take the shot. Needless to say shooting a three inch magnum on a hill not the smartest move one can make when you are as clumsy as I am. Knocked me on my ass. :drunken: :geek: :lol!: Luckily no witness's and I fell into a big pile of leaves.

I am ready for next year.....Thinking about leaving all the high dollar stuff at home other than the shotgun and sight.

Did I mention that wild turkey cooked in the smoker using applewood taste really good.

Good for you Mike :cheers: . I can remember going through the same thing, lots of time afield looking for scarce birds. Got a couple here and there over the years. Then the population exploded and now I have a dozen turkeys drinking out of the fountain in my flower garden every day. The kids even named a couple of them. Kind of took the fun out of huntin em :lol:

I haven't hunted anything in 6 years, can't justify the time away or the expense while trying to raise two kids on one income. The wife used to enjoy having me disappear for short spells when I'd hunt but she's needing all the help she can get now, so it isn't fair to take off. I am looking forward to the day when I can walk around in the muntains again with a bow or rifle. It's great to finally get something you've chased for several seasons in a row, isn't it? :D

Passed three of them beside the road on the prison lawn last evening driving home from work.

Got my fill of killing critters in my 20s. Now I get a larger charge out of being a rescuer.

Probably seeking equalibrium :lol:

:cat: :face:

Turkey hunting was in it's infancy around here when I switched from archery to bass tournaments. So I never really hunted them. But I know they have really good eyesight.

Congrats! :sunny:

Mike, even though Turkey's cannot smell, I consider them much harder to get close to and kill than a whitetail, based on my personal experience. Congrats on a major milestone in your hunting endeavors! :cheers:

Great work and patience, Mike! :cheers:

I think wild turkeys actually have a sense of humor. I always seem to run into them when I have fishing gear in my hands. :x

Congratulations! :cheers: :cheers:

Great read - I haven't hunted for probably 20 years but I really got a lot out of reading your story.

I'll bet that Turkey tastes good!

Thanks for sharing.

Fraternally

Jers

Congratulations Mike, not an easy bird to take.

They're so flaky with such great eyesight it's a wonder anyone bags one. When it comes to turkeys I'll take luck over skill everytime, :cheers:

Congrats on the hunt. I have never hunted turkeys but am thinking about it next year. I saw 2 when doing some Ruffed Grouse hunting this year.
We are getting more of a population of them here in Minnesota over the years.