After Smoking The Same Blend For Many Days

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
This morning I smoked the first bowl of a recent blend I had assembled. It really isn't much different than any of my self-made English blends, but it did taste a bit foreign. The only real difference from the blend I'd been smoking for many days (or weeks) is the blend has toasted red virginia, replacing red virginia. I know that after a few days and several bowls, the taste will be the new normal, until I switch again. It makes me wonder how some BoBs can smoke and enjoy a variety of blends without each progressive blend tasting a bit foreign.

With one exception, I generally do not smoke the same blend for more than a couple of days in a row. It seems to lose its interest for me, or perhaps my limited taste buds become numb to its nuances. Even my favorite blends go bland if smoked in succession. When I come back to them weeks or months later, they seem to have regained their flavor. Perhaps my taste buds like to be shaken up with a foreign taste?

At my current age, I always think "this bowl" could be my last one. So, I reach for the tobacco that's both familiar and comforting.

It has taken me some time to find the tobaccos and mixtures I most enjoy. I have eliminated smoking those which I found foreign or "off". There is enough variety in my cellar that I don't often smoke the same blend twice but never the same pipe back to back. When travelling I'll bring more pipes than different tobaccos. Easy enough since my pipes are on the small side for the high nic tobaccos I prefer. So my experience is familiar and satisfying bordering on discomfort! To facetiously rephrase an old maxim: You haven't had enough unless you've had too much.