Age and Briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Everybody, at some point, probably feels like the custodian of a message that burns within, demanding the world's attention. So I may as well get this out of my system now, rather than working it into somebody's thread.

Around 1970 it started dawning on accoustic guitar-picker types how not just good but freaking really good the ninteen thirty-something Martins had become. And the same realization was dawning on people in the classical violin biz where the Neopolitan luthiers of the same era were concerned. 40 years of proper use in both cases brings something wooden and good to begin with right into that sweet spot where it blossoms.

I have been finding this to similarly be the case with briar pipes made back before Cadogan swallowed the old English marques. Just old doesn't cut it, and just smoked doesn't either. Age and use aren't alchemists that turn junk into treasure. But they can ripen good stuff into really good stuff.

Thank You.

I feel much better now. :D

I'd guess that the main caution would be "careful use", since, after all, people are lighting fires inside these treasures.

I have a few old briars, I find that the wood is great but old vulcanite sucks :no: I actually took the mouthpiece off of a pipe and puffed on it right from the stummel - bad taste gone. I have a few that will be going to the Lat man for lucite bits once the Christmas wallet shock has subsided a bit :santa:

I think your idea of old wood resurrected (or at least given a new lease on life) is a wonderful thing and yes, an old briar found in reasonable condition and brought back to respectability is as wonderful a thing as a new fancy high dollar showpiece.