Age vs. Old

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I have friends in their 80s who think and act as they did 30 years ago. And I know some women in their mid 60s who still think that it's 1965, but act they're 95.

And how ‘bout you?
I try to keep current living in the "now" and not what was. Because my background is in the broadcast media, I try my best to be aware of current trends, just in case I decide to volunteer my time in contemporary community radio. Before the pandemic, a woman with whom I worked commercially in the late 70s, approached me about doing a weekly gig and podcast about being "Staying young in an older body." It's still on the table. Hopefully, by the time we are able to do it, my voice will have returned to normal When I had my C7 surgery, the surgeon went through the front of my neck, plus I was on a ventilator. To get to the spine, my vocal chords were moved, and may have been stretched, leaving my voice very raspy.

Just so long as you get your morning cuppa.

28EB2AA4-1508-417F-9C4B-FE0B69F0F0A4.png

Yes, that first cup of coffee always helps, along with a bowl of tobacco and an afternoon or evening nip of booze! I'm always in my right
mind... that's because I'm left handed!!!

It's funny how we think of ourselves. Or don't think of ourselves? I worked with an older guy many years ago, and he was sort of a breakroom punching bag because he was in his 60s or so, and he looked like he just walked off Miami Vice (not the Don Johnson look). His wardrobe was of a 20 year old from the 80s. That was the prime of his life, and he never stopped dressing like it. I thought it was funny, but also kind of cool for him to be that way. At the time, I also wondered if I was looking at a mirror in a time machine. I was. If I go into a vintage clothing store and amass a pile of clothing that genuinely attracts me, it's all clothing from my late teens and early 20s. I'm the fool now. While the look of this guy never really bothered me, it has bothered me over the years to run into people who don't age gracefully. People who seem rather fixated on not showing gray hair. Dressing in a way that doesn't match their age or personality (this guy definitely dressed like his personality, but not his age). So I'm not only the fool now, but also a hypocrite.

In my mind I often feel back in my late teens or twenties; not in terms of what I know or have experienced but more a lens through which I'm viewing the world. When I get out of bed in the morning, my lower back begs to differ.

...it has bothered me over the years to run into people who don't age gracefully. People who seem rather fixated on not showing gray hair. Dressing in a way that doesn't match their age or personality. So I'm not only the fool now, but also a hypocrite.
I often wonder if pop culture hasn't made that the norm. In the U.S. we seem to idolize not just a youthful look, but a body that for most of us has never been unattainable without diet and exercise to the extreme. Not that many days ago, I was in a nearby grocery and saw a guy who looked to be in his 60s, considerably overweight wearing a pair of the now fashionable skinny stretch jeans. I couldn't decide whether to move away and laugh or feel sorry for the guy. I thought to myself, does he know how silly he looks or maybe he doesn't care.

One of my friends (75 years old) is still working as a successful attorney. As a young man, he had a full head of curly black hair. At 75, it's the same, courtesy of transplants and hair dye. He looks ridiculous, clown like. In a moment of confrontational courage, I asked him why he'd gone to such great lengths to keep a full head of pitch black hair. His reply was simple and short, "It makes me look younger."

Fortunately, my daughters are my fashion or lack thereof consultants/critics. "Um, Dad, even though elastic waisted sweatpants are comfortable, you really can't wear them with a dress short, tie, and suitcoat."

Last edited: