Aged C&D Exhausted Rooster Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Reaction score
I've been looking forward to this tin for awhile now. The tin art is exceptional and this one was bulging (had a few years on it). Popped the top about 2 weeks ago and have had a number of smokes since. Short version: I like it. Long version: below.

Testing was done in a Savinelli Pianoforte bent apple and a Savinelli Punto Oro Dublin (pictured).

Tin Note:
Wow, overpowering aroma of fermentation like wine and sweet fruit (peaches and apricots, NOT raisins and figs). Hint of citrus rind. Delicious. This has faded now after a few weeks in the jar but it's still awesome, just not as potent. I've never been excited over a tin aroma like I have this one. Amazing.

Flavor:
Tangy up front, you can taste that fermentation and fruit. Spicy too with a bite though this had faded after a few weeks in the jar. This subsides and then the VA's become more present with some dried grass and the fruity notes take a backseat for awhile. This power shift continues throughout the bowl, always changing. The Perique waxes and wanes as well but it's ever-present and adds a nice spiciness. The fruit/fermented flavor is also dynamic ranging from sweet to tangy to sour (but not unpleasant). The complexity here is really fun and I have enjoyed it most when I have time to just think about what I'm smoking. It has mellowed a bit (in a good way) after a few weeks in the jar. The Perique is less spicy and the sour notes are less sour.

Room note/aroma:
Aroma is important to me. I love the second hand smoke as much as the taste. It's rich with good hay notes from the VA and the fermentation smell really adds complexity and doesn't leave a heavy footprint on the room.

Overall this tobacco rocks but for me it's not an all day smoke, I want some time on my hands when I'm smoking this. The times when I've been occupied I've found it less enjoyable. I will say the complexity is the hook for me, it's not the best tasting blend I've had but it's easily the most interesting. The X-factors being the truly exceptional tin note and the awesome tin art, I will be sitting on more of this.

Nice review. The sweetness to tangy sour sounds good. What was the date on the tin? In other words how exhausted was this rooster :lol: def sounds like something worth stowing away!

Sticker on the bottom of the tin reads 080112... Aug 2012 perhaps? It was definitely bulging and made an awesome pop that spewed fragrance all over the man cave when I opened it.

When Exhausted Rooster first came out, International Cigar Club had
an active pipe section. The leader, Nick, who was also a member here
did a group buy. I bought five and I'm still holding on to three tins
of the original release, signed by Craig Tarler. One of my favorites,
I have over eight pounds of it on hand.

This used to be in my regular rotation (gawd I hate that term) a while back until I got distracted by other shiny objects......

Need to revisit this.

Hermit":rr9lr38i said:
When Exhausted Rooster first came out, International Cigar Club had an active pipe section. The leader, Nick, who was also a member here did a group buy. I bought five and I'm still holding on to three tins
of the original release, signed by Craig Tarler. One of my favorites,
I have over eight pounds of it on hand.
Hail Mary Hermit! Looks like this has struck a chord with you!

:monkey:

Cheers,

RR

Great review. Thanks for posting it. :)

AJ