Aged Tobacco: "What's It Worth To Ya"?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Everyone's seen the e-bay auction for a sealed tin of 30 year old Dunhill's #965 which brought $150.00 or a 1950's cutter top tin of Balkan Sobraine that finishes up at $350.00!

I've personally never spent big bucks on vintage tobacco. Most all of my well aged stuff was either aquired in trades or bought reasonably. On average I smoke 2 oz of flake tobacco per week. I'd love to be able to figure out exactly how many bowls I actually smoke per day but I'd guess it's about three. That's roughly 35 bowls per week as a guesstimate. Spending well over a hundred dollars on a 1 3/4 oz of tobacco that would last me a week seems like a big waste of money. This combined with the fact that seals can fail and the tobacco can have gone flat seals the deal. (no pun intended)

How much are you willing to spend to expeirence smoking decades old tobacco?

(1) If I want it, price is really no option

(2) Less than $100.00

(3) $50.00 or less

(3) I have no intrest in buying aged tobacco. I'll buy it now and age it myself.

As much as I miss the old classic blends; I'm not up to spending big bucks on pipe tobacco tins when I have so much good stuff on the shelf!! The ol' tastebuds probably wouldn't know the difference anyway!! :pipe: FTRPLT

OBTW...Dock, you have two #3's for answers!! So my is #3 #2!!

OBTW x 2....Just talked to my buddy on the Cape. Ya'll gettin' a little snow up your way??????????????

Though I've been fortunate to stumble on some great deals purchasing Aged Tobacco, my real answer is #3 I'll age it myself

A great question Dock. Two answers for me. One, I've paid a fair penny for aged and rare blends I really wanted to try, as have many of my friends who've most graciously shared these with me :cheers: To pay for something special, for the experience every now and then, I say yes, it's worth it.

As for cellaring, no way could I afford to buy aged blends for a cellar. I buy new in hopes up simply building up a cellar I can afford.

It would have to be #3, there's too much good stuff out there to worry about paying huge amounts especially where discontinued blends are concerned.

Generally, I'll age it myself.
(which means I'll have to wait a while since my cellar was born in April.)
I've picked up a few tins in trades that had a couple of years on em.
I got four tins of Christmas Cheer '03 at McCrainies at regular price.
A few tins I've ordered had a couple of years on em.
I'm not willing to pay a ridiculous price for "vintage" tins.

(Sure would be nice, though, if somebody wanted to trade
some aged VAs for some aged cigars.) :roll:

Option # 5 - I pray I'll age enough to smoke all the tobacco in my cellar. I suspect there may be a few others who would share that thought ;)

If I want it bad enough, I will pay the bucks and get it.
There is a point where pricing can get a bit ridiculous though.
$350 for a 2 ounce tin of Sobranie from the 70's? No. Now an 8 ounce tin is a different matter.....;)

Most I have paid was $350 for a 2 ounce tin. But that was for something that was very, very rare, and something that I wanted, very, very badly!

I made the #3 decision about five years ago. I systematically started building a cellar.

Truth is; I do not have a sophisticated enough palate to justify really vintage stuff. I DO prefer my Va's with about three years of age and English/Balkans at about five years of age. I do tobacco "rotations."

I have built a deep enough cellar to be "rotating" everything these days at about five years of age. "Treasures" do pop up occasionally, as "gifts: ie, I'm now smoking a gifted Bohemian Scandal in a gifted Cavicchi 5C straight billiard; "price" of THAT combination? PRICELESS! I couldn't afford it, unless, I had a Celebrants salary.

I am a sucker for old virginia's! I regularly pay thru the nose for old and rare tins. I think there is a whole new level of satisfaction to this hobby when smoking old baccy. I am currently working thru a tin of 92 christmas cheer and it's sublime. I had a bowl this morning that I will remember the rest of my life. I paid 150.00 for it and it's worth every penny! now if I could just find more balkan sobranie # 10!

I have bought a lot new to be put away. Tins and bulk. Good blends, poor blends, and great blends. Never know when my tastes will change.

I have purchased some expensive tins. I have also traded for or bought some rare stuff quite reasonable. If the mood strikes me, I will beat all bidders for a tin of something I want. But that impulse has lessened. :D

vaperfavour":2sbugvva said:
I am a sucker for old virginia's! I regularly pay thru the nose for old and rare tins. I think there is a whole new level of satisfaction to this hobby when smoking old baccy. I am currently working thru a tin of 92 christmas cheer and it's sublime. I had a bowl this morning that I will remember the rest of my life. I paid 150.00 for it and it's worth every penny! now if I could just find more balkan sobranie # 10!
I know "someone" with some tins that may be for sale...........;)

Is this the guy?

WalnutTastesGood-1.jpg

Winslow :bounce:

#4 - I have no interested in over priced aged tobacco. I will buy it if it is reasonably priced. Most sold on eBay now a days is over inflated.

What I smoke 99% of the time is perfect right off the shelf anyway.

uh oh! there is a devil on my shoulder! wait a minute where'd the angel go? um angel can you come back? please? pretty please? f**k em! the little winged basterd's never around when I need him! oh, wait there he is flyingdown the hall luggin my wallet with him..... c'mere you.....

#3 for me, both because I've managed to fill a pretty good tobacco larder with a fair amount of five to ten or more year old tins, but also on a teachers wages, I can't afford it. I have sold two or three dozen of my older tins over the past few years, and made a nice profit on them.

Natch

I don't typically seek out aged tobacco specifically. If I happen to run across some in a tobacco shop, I will often times buy it but only at the normal price. Often times, because it is old it will be marked cheaper than the newer stock because the tobacco shop simply doesn't care to jack it up. They just want it sold.

Now, of the tobaccos I smoke most (Brown Clunee and McB Navy Flake), I prefer them fresh to aged. So I guess it's #3 for me though I really wonder why I even posted at all.

Jim :?: