Aging flat vacuum-packed tins...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
Does anyone use foil tape to seal the flat vacuum-sealed european style tins they are planning to age? I noticed some of these tins make the boxes they're stored in smell of the blend... Lids are still on tight as far as I can tell. I have several round/square vacuum tins of tobacco's that I would like to keep for several years down the road. Just would hate for them to dry out...

Adam

I have experience with 10+ year old round tins and not as much with square tins. The exp I do have with "tins with corners" is that they're more likely to dry out a bit. Round tins seem to hold up better, possibly because it might be harder to get a good seal in a corner and/or  harder to maintain it. I suspect applying packing tape to a tin with an unbroken seal may help maintain the seal. However, I have remoistened aged, tinned tobacco that dried out without much trouble. Patience is important. One option is to pop the tins and store the tobak in Mason jars. There's a lot of content on this topic on this and other sites. Take your pick of experts.  One seldom-mentioned point is that tins do best when they're aged in a cool, dark, out of the way spot. "Cellaring" got the name for good reason. Tins don't like jostling about and temp variations. Good luck.

I have a few square tins of Stonehaven and Penzance that are over 20 to 40 years old and have yet had an issue when it's time to open them for smoking. If you get a tin that's been dented in any way I would use packing tape tight around the top and bottom of the tins. Most canned blends like C&D & GLP are not vacuum packed so they ferment better with age, these type have more of a tendency of finding mold once opened, especially when dented. Just my experience.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

IMO Putting tape on a tin will do little or nothing. If you can't determine what tin has popped I'd at least put them in a ziploc or if you can overwrap and vacuum seal them with a Food Saver. I know it's not Mylar but I've never seen a Food Saver bag fail yet. I store the now old style rectangular tins in sealed wide mouth canning jars. :shock:

daveinlax":fvl3qc8p said:
IMO Putting tape on a tin will do little or nothing. If you can't determine what tin has popped I'd at least put them in a ziploc or if you can overwrap and vacuum seal them with a Food Saver. I know it's not Mylar but I've never seen a Food Saver bag fail yet. I store the now old style rectangular tins in sealed wide mouth canning jars. :shock:
This.......... And there are threads in the Tobacco section that have a great many suggestions and experiences.