Aging tobacco article from smokingpipes.com

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishfuzz

Reaction score
Today's newsletter from smokingpipes.com had an interesting article on aging tobacco and packaging. Enjoy!

Fishfuzz":8guaqnvl said:
Today's newsletter from smokingpipes.com had an interesting article on aging tobacco and packaging. Enjoy!
thanks for the link... i can now open up some tins without "is this tobacco aged enough yet" remorse

While I do agree that certain blends do not require age to be wonderful, perhaps the use of SG FVF isn't exactly practical...

As many already know, there is most definitely variation in blends from year to year. FVF is, perhaps, the most varied blend I have ever smoked. And there is a huge difference between the bulk and tinned versions. Of which I have pounds of each..

And like the smokingpipes guys noted, the bulk tends to be a bit thinner of a cut while the tinned version is thicker and seemingly more dense.

FVF ain't what she used to be, unfortunately. I have been comparing a tin from 2001 and a tin from 2009, and the difference is huge. The old stuff with the Zimbabwean leaf is much, much, bettter. Still, the new stuff isnt bad, just different.

vaperfavour":5hhel9mu said:
FVF ain't what she used to be, unfortunately. I have been comparing a tin from 2001 and a tin from 2009, and the difference is huge. The old stuff with the Zimbabwean leaf is much, much, bettter. Still, the new stuff isnt bad, just different.
Good point. I have a feeling this sort of thing happens with blenders more times that most of us realize. I remember how Sobranie 759 "evolved" over the years it was available and it was all due to the availability of the types of leaf available to the blenders at the time. They work very hard at keeping the "feel" of the blends but the marketplace of the raw product can be an influence for sure.

monbla256":o9usgcbr said:
vaperfavour":o9usgcbr said:
Good point. I have a feeling this sort of thing happens with blenders more times that most of us realize. I remember how Sobranie 759 "evolved" over the years it was available and it was all due to the availability of the types of leaf available to the blenders at the time. They work very hard at keeping the "feel" of the blends but the marketplace of the raw product can be an influence for sure.
For sure. So many of my favorites have DRASTIC differences from era to era...

I can only hope that what I have purchased recently to age will at least be as enjoyable because the chances that it will be the SAME are very slim lol