AK fishing report

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Howdy gents... Well, I appear to be having difficulty uploading photos, so no pics right now. However, the fishing expedition to remote Western Alaska was... EPIC. Highlights: remote rustic cabins, campfires with pipes, 3:00 AM with a (real) Cuban stogie, three foot trophy pike, lots of grayling on dries, some really good rainbow fishing, lots of reel ripping sockeye salmon, and some incredible top water mackinaw (lake trout) fishing on mouse patterns, in three feet of water. Lots of great meals and laughs! Alas, I returned to work this week. However, I anticipate some incredible fall fishing for rainbows, and will be sure to report on the fall "egg drop" (rainbow trout and char feeding on salmon eggs). The Alaska wilderness experience is unmatched in the lower 48; we saw bears, caribou, moose, eagles, one wolf, porcupine, wolverine, Dall sheep, and fish the size of your leg. And not ONE human. The land is so wild and rugged, alive and vast! The weather was marginal but doable, and I enjoyed many a pipe, campfire, and high grade back-country coffee.

Oh ya, and the wedding reception was stellar, with some incredible food, great weather, lots of family and friends, and a ripping polka band, with one dude on spoons, another with a homemade wash tub base, a feller on the squeeze box, another who was pickin' on a mandolin. The Glacier Valley Boys (now in their sixties) delivered!

I love to hear stories like this, all the while hating to hear stories like this.

I am so jealous!

Congrats on such a fun trip!!! :cheers:

You've probably just made 99% of us extremely envious,,,sounds like seven vacations rolled into one,,,,,lots of fish and no need to lie,,, :lol!:

Awesome!! But was it a wedding with a fishing trip, or a fishing trip with a wedding??

Congrats to you and the lucky lady! :cheers: :cheers:

Glad to hear of your wonderful time! I can only echo your sentiments about that glorious state. I visited Alaska in 2003 and let me tell you, it was an emotional experience for me. The beauty that my eyes beheld brought tears to my eyes. Previously, my only contact with mountains were the Catskills, which are beautiful in their own right - but couple the Alaskan mountains with the glaciers, the wildlife, the waterways and cities, towns and villages, well, it is a sensory overload! I loved every minute of it.

I have very dear friends that live on 13th and O in Anchorage.

skaukatt":qdtscnfi said:
I have very dear friends that live on 13th and O in Anchorage.
Wow, I live a stone's throw from there, on 11th and M, just off the west end of the Park Strip. Cool!

As the other posters, I'm green with envy! :alien: Sounds like a good time for all.