All Busted Up

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Howdy, fellas. Haven't posted in a while, mainly due to the fact that I am in MASSIVE PAIN. I hate to admit this, but I am a 41-year-old longboarder. NOT skate boarder; those are little toys for kids. My longboard is over three feet long with over-sized trucks and wheels -- I regularly carve hills at fairly high speeds. We call it “surfing the concrete wave,” as it is surprisingly similar. It is incredibly fun and very addictive! By the way, prior to this, I have never wrecked, not even once, and always wear a helmet. Funny, but I had been contemplating posting some pics up on the board here, me on my longboard with a big Danish free-hand hanging out of my pie hole, ripping it up while puffing on some Bayou Morning...

Two weeks ago, I was cruising around the neighborhood, just two blocks from my house, the ocean was about a 1/4 mile away, the sun's rays reflecting magenta and marmalade hues off the ebbing tide... a perfect evening for shredding some hills. So, on this last hill that takes me right down to the ocean, I carved five or six nice turns, then pointed the board straight down to ride out the last part, just like I always do. Well, right when I pointed it, a HUGE industrial grade tow truck pulled out right into my path. It was so big, I initially thought it was a fire truck. This was at 8:30 in a residential neighborhood, by the way.

At any rate, this hill features an intersection, with a stop sign that I always just blow through. (The road to the right is a very short dead end... there are almost never any cars, and if there are, there is plenty of room to just go far right or far left) So, there I am at Mach speed, and this guy sees me, freaks, and just stops dead in the middle of the intersection. At the exact moment that I committed to carving hard left, he stops dead! I thought for a moment I was going to make it on a hard back side carve, but his vehicle was just too long. I slammed into him going at least 25, and broke my arm just below the shoulder ball joint. Luckily I did not put my hand out or I probably would have shattered my whole arm. Instead, at the last second, I instinctively hunched down and drove into the side of his truck, shoulder first. I smashed into him, bounced off, then rolled/skipped like four or five times to a stop. My friend saw the whole thing and said it was absolutely spectacular. (I rarely do anything half-assed.) A true freak accident/classic case of wrong place-wrong time. Maybe it was bad juju, or some kind of a voodoo hex... Lots of road rash, a moderate amount of blood, lots of pain. The driver drove me home, apologizing profusely the whole way. Pretty much my fault, though his stopping in the middle of the intersection did not help matters. If he had just continued, I would have carved a sweet lefty and easily avoided him. Alas...

Long story short: the wife and in-laws were not too sympathetic, as we have an 18 month old daughter that everyone helps out with. And now I am pretty much useless and need help with the simplest of tasks, let alone being capable of one handed diaper duty. Now Grandma has to babysit a toddler AND a fully grown man who moans and groans with the smallest of micro movements. I have a black and purple bruise on the outside of my left thigh that is fairly ghastly. My arm is full of fluids and sickly yellow. Two positive notes: lots of cool scabs, and the neighbor's kids think i am super radical...

I can only now sorta kinda pull my pants up on my own. I am pleasantly surprised that I can type this; shows improvement! I just barely dodged surgery, and luckily, the bones are completely aligned, so I just have to wear an arm sling brace thing for six weeks. Nights are the worst; I can't lie flat, and any movement is excruciating.

So, other than looking for some sympathy, I am just filling you guys in on the latest. Worst part: not only is this stressful for me and everyone else, but I am missing the best trout fishing of the year right now -- AHHGG!!

Yours in all things righteous and risky and wickedly fun,

TB

Lesson Learned: Always have a spotter, no matter what!!

As a one time motocrosser, I, um, feel your pain. :lol:

Never mind a spotter, get someone out there with a vidcam! :twisted:

At least it wasn't your head, neck, or spine, right?

Oh yes, the stopped vehicle! Always an issue! :lol: Hope you feel better, Brother!

My life choice to be a complete wuss appears to be paying off..

:)

Feel better soon - better be careful in the future though - don't want to break your fishing bone.

As I used to race competitive Downhill Mountain bikes I know and feel your pain my man, I agree with LL, vidcam next time :lol!:
Speedy recovery brother.

Hope you start to feel better soon TB. Sounds horrendous.

Gods speed in healing TB. Thank goodness you were wearing a seat belt! :D

In the words of Captain Lance Murdoch: "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world."

Heal up quick and get back on the board!

As a former skateboarding youth who spent time riding down soap-box derby hills and being towed behind mopeds going 30 MPH (speed wobbles)I can certainly feel your pain :pirat: We never had giant hills to carve but I certainly have seen folks doing it in movies and TV.

Growing up and falling or crashing never hurt for long, but as I tell my son it hurts for so much longer now the older I get. I have been getting him into skateboarding since he was 5 taking him to skateparks. I try to explain to him how to drop-in and he wants me to show him :affraid: I tell him I have to be able to go to work and if I fall I'll probably break something. So I dazzle him w/ some freestyle instead. The kids get a big kick out of watching a fat old dude jumping on a skate and doing tricks :joker:

I really hope you heal fast! Road rash sucks and busted bones are worse. In the end chicks still dig scars :lol!:

Doc Manhattan":e1c8n49e said:
In the words of Captain Lance Murdoch: "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world."
that's funny, doc.

hey, hope you get healed fast. (of course you're over forty, fast is somewhat relative...just keep telling yourself your brett farve)

Hope you heal up and all ends well.

"Mama always says, 'Stupid is as stupid does!'"----Forrest Gump :lol!:

Wow, glad to hear things seem to be healing well. Get well soon!

Narrow escapes are always great for sharing with the kids, nieces and nephews when you get older. :lol: I remember once a long time ago when.....

Anyway, hope you heal fast!

Jim

troutbum said:
I can only now sorta kinda pull my pants up on my own"
Few things worse than having to depend on friends and family to zip you up after you go pee pee,,, :p

Heal up and go get them fish,,,

Remember what Nietzsche said:
"What doesent kill me makes me more strong."

Heal quickly, and be careful out there.

Thanks for all the well wishes, my Brothers! Among my few reprieves is a pipe and steaming mug of joe out in the backyard... plus, I have been lurking around here quite a bit -- lots of new folks and they all seem really cool. I (finally) go back to work later this week, so that much is good. I have also been watching some truly disturbing bad day time television... today's pop culture is just beyond belief, truly! Today, I must confess, I watched this show called, "Bad Girls Club." I have no words to describe how trashy, low brow, and generally shocking it was.

Worst part is, I kinda liked it.

But only kinda.

TB Over and Out