All Day Smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dix Creek

Reaction score
Just wondering about this phrase. You see many descriptions of pipe tobacco include this phrase in one form or another. You also read many reviews the state this as well. Some tobaccos are to be smoked in the morning, some right before a meal, some after a meal, and some right before bed. Now I may be trying to pick the fly shit out of the pepper, but I am confused. What if I start the day out smoking Old Joe Krantz or Ten Russians or God forbid, The Aperitif. I generally pick out a smoke to start the day with and hang with it all day. 10 to 12 bowls of the same blend using 2 different pipes. Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject for me. Am I being uncivilized in my practice, breaking some rule of pipe etiquette or am I really just one of many of you who do the same thing. Your thoughts please.

Some of us take it a step farther by smoking the same blend all day, every day. Screw the "rules".

Smoking a pipe orally is the only "rule" I adhere to. Smokers who do otherwise are few and far between, in my experience, and look ridiculous.

Smoke what you like, when you like, and don't give a rat's behind what anyone else thinks. That's the rule. It also applies to eating, drinking, etc.

To my mind, when someone says "All day smoke" I think of a blend that isn't crazy strong in nicotine and is easy to keep lit. I guess I say this because if I was smoking 10-12 bowls a day, it would have to be something I could smoke while performing other activities. In the case of reviewers I also think they're saying "I like this so much, I'd smoke it all day"

Having said that, the main point is, smoke what you want, when you want.

Smoke what you like when you like. I used to do the same as your talking about. One blend all day or even a number of days or till I finished a tin. That was when I was smoking 4 or more bowls a day. Now I only have time for one, two if I'm lucky, so smoking one blend is no problem.

swhipple":gb6ih0iv said:
To my mind, when someone says "All day smoke" I think of a blend that isn't crazy strong in nicotine and is easy to keep lit. I guess I say this because if I was smoking 10-12 bowls a day, it would have to be something I could smoke while performing other activities. In the case of reviewers I also think they're saying "I like this so much, I'd smoke it all day"

Having said that, the main point is, smoke what you want, when you want.
Yah. I think it applies to tobacco that isn't "too much" of anything and can be enjoyed over some lengthy stretch of time. It doesn't mean that there's an "ought to" involved. My chief examp of an "all day" smoke would be EMP, no matter the name. The "codger blends" would also fit in the category, I'd say.

An "All day smoke" is purely subjective. I enjoy an occasional bowl of Dark Flake Scented and Brown Bogie. If I smoked either of those more than once a day I would end up in bed for a long nap. Others have the constitution for continually smoking blends like these. I don't, so if I were to pick a blend to smoke several bowls a day of it would be something that doesn't wear my tongue out or overload my system with nicotine. Squadron Leader works nicely for me.

The "rules" are: you have to ping-pong btwn 5/6 blend.mixtures a day, 10/12 a week an ONLY smoke them in $500.00 ARTISON pipes llt with your Old Boy purified gas lighter !! YEP ! That's the Rules ! :twisted: :twisted:  This one blend/mixture in 1/2 pipes a day, all day is for old codgers that are not true afficionado/connessuers of pipe smoking !! :twisted: :twisted: You need to get with the "program" guy  :twisted: :twisted:

These guys nailed it. The "all day smoke" is just the one you would want to smoke all day. On the other hand, I think I see a niche market for some specific "time of day" tobacco's. How about a "waiting at the tire shop" smoke? Or a tree stand blend with extra deer tongue? An aromatic bathroom smoke would be nice. Maybe a "cruising the autobahn in my Aston Martin" smoke. Or,more realistically, a "huddled on the back porch in a driving sleet" smoke.
If anyone can disprove the myth of certain blends for specific times of day, it's Iron Tongue JimInks. That guy has no pattern, never sleeps, and never stops smoking.

George Kaplan":5lxbnk15 said:
These guys nailed it. The "all day smoke" is just the one you would want to smoke all day. On the other hand, I think I see a niche market for some specific "time of day" tobacco's. How about a "waiting at the tire shop" smoke? Or a tree stand blend with extra deer tongue? An aromatic bathroom smoke would be nice. Maybe a "cruising the autobahn in my Aston Martin" smoke. Or,more realistically, a "huddled on the back porch in a driving sleet" smoke.
If anyone can disprove the myth of certain blends for specific times of day, it's Iron Tongue JimInks. That guy has no pattern, never sleeps, and never stops smoking.
:roll:
I don't care who you are, that's funny there.........

monbla256":yw3ossck said:
The "rules" are: you have to ping-pong btwn 5/6 blend.mixtures a day, 10/12 a week an ONLY smoke them in $500.00 ARTISON pipes llt with your Old Boy purified gas lighter !! YEP ! That's the Rules ! :twisted: :twisted:  This one blend/mixture in 1/2 pipes a day, all day is for old codgers that are not true afficionado/connessuers of pipe smoking !! :twisted: :twisted: You need to get with the "program" guy  :twisted: :twisted:
It's just this kind of easy come, easy go, laid back, lackadaisical approach that will bring this forum into disrepute amongst serious pipe smokers. :lol!:

George Kaplan":i112dnjo said:
"huddled on the back porch in a driving sleet" smoke. .
:lol:
:lol:

I would buy this....should be dry enough to stay lit all the way through so I can keep both hands in my pockets and not be fumbling for a light every now and then.

I'm not so sure about that, Stick. My Nightcap's been tasting a bit off ever since we entered daylight saving time on Sunday.

My late Pap smoked nothing other than Uhle's 255. Morning, noon, and night. Guess I figure he considered this an all day blend.

But then again he was a one brand man in beer and many other things.

Cheers,

RR

George Kaplan":qxugoj2x said:
I'm not so sure about that, Stick. My Nightcap's been tasting a bit off ever since we entered daylight saving time on Sunday.
:lol!:

fsu92john":trueg66v said:
Smoke what you like, when you like, and don't give a rat's behind what anyone else thinks. That's the rule. It also applies to eating, drinking, etc.
Damn straight! :D

The "rules" are: you have to ping-pong btwn 5/6 blend.mixtures a day, 10/12 a week an ONLY smoke them in $500.00 ARTISON pipes llt with your Old Boy purified gas lighter !! YEP ! That's the Rules ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  This one blend/mixture in 1/2 pipes a day, all day is for old codgers that are not true afficionado/connessuers of pipe smoking !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil You need to get with the "program" guy  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

ROFLMAO!!! :lol!: :lol!: You tell em brother! Amen and pass the unobtainium