All you brothers in in the big NE storm please check in here

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
National news paints this as pretty dire. All you guys OK?

Marty, you are located on LI. Seems like you're directly in the bullseye. You OK so far?

kieveryuu aren't you in Boston? That also looks like a high impact area.

Stay safe you brothers.

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR

The snow is piling up at the rate of 6 inches per hour here. Snowmobiles are running the roads cause they pulled the plows hours ago.
The wind has shifted direction and a fresh storm from the northeast is clobbering us. Not a problem though, we can still get out our second story windows come morning. :lol!:

Central CT here. Nasty, wind-driven, horizontal stuff. Colder'n a hooer's heart. But haven't lost power. knockknock Supposed to end tomorrow around 10:00 a.m. I've seen worse. Boston got clobbered. Looks like the S. Eastern part of CT was was the worst hit hereabouts. Flicking through teevee weather, some of the CT crews looked like they were having fun. But tthe crews in Boston were just being battered by the wind and clearly reconsidering their choice of vocation. Saw a report in a town not far from me: A young couple who moved to CT -- FROM FLORIDA LAST WEEK!!! They'd bever seen snow in person before and never saw a real snowstorn apparently, even on television. They had stylish coats, but no hats, boots or gloves. The guy complained that his girlfriend was just driving along when, apparently for no reason, the car spun 360. They wondered if it might happen again and what, if anything, could be done about it. They looked stunned! Hope you all stayed indoors, smoked your pipes and drank some beer, like me. I'll take care of the damn drifts tomorrow when the steenkin wind drops and the thermometer gets above 30.

Marty checking in. I'm in Setauket Long Island. Setauket is getting the biggest hit of the storm. As of 11PM had 24 inches. It is supposed to snow all night....they say 2 inches per hour. It's going to be hot shit tomorrow. So far thousands of homes here have lost power. So far so good. Lights have gone on and off momentarily but we have not lost power. Keeping all body parts crossed. Just finished smoking my bedtime bowl of Penzance. I hope I sleep through this mess.

Shoreline CT here, all is well, just a bunch of snow.

Lucky to have today off, but I'm about a mile and a half from work and the smart money's on walking tomorrow. Actually should be fun... for sufficiently warped New England definitions of "fun."

metrowest boston here - around framingham.

we seem to be through the worst of the storm thus far. but we've still got another ~6 hours to go. roughly 18"-20" thus far with another 3"-6" possible.

power outages have been remarkably contained http://outage.nstar.com/outage/outagemap.aspx . the theory yesterday was that the various wind storms we had last year cleared out the dead limbs and whatnot so there'd be fewer tree problems. our town ALWAYS loses power and so far we're fine (knock-wood knockity-knock).

looks like central CT got beat up worse than we did (sorry guys!).

doody

Howdy Doody.....{ wink } back atchya man greetings to you and to Buffalo Bob

Well men morning has arrived here in Setauket Long Island New York. We have not lost power so no complaints from this man. "It is so bad....." that Jay Leno could use this joke line for his show opening all week. So I have set my priorities. First things first and then I'll handle the rest. I am hanging with my Sav burnin' some Engine 99 and enjoying the warmth of morning coffee. There is so much fucking snow that the entire community is just in a state of suspended animation. We must have 36 inches of snow on the ground and that is on flat areas. Drifts are twice as high. Really too much to even move. So I'm going to concentrate on the sweet aroma of my pipes and think warm thoughts of Spring while enjoying the rest of a great bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue. BTW .....the Blue is so smooth, and goes down so easily you forget it's Scotch until you realize that you cannot get up out of your chair to take a piss. Well as Paul Revere said "........you know what he said......" No the British are not coming, they can't make it.... "It's 7:20AM and all's well"!

Glad you all are doin ok, we were hit with about 22inches a couple of years ago, and that sucked, so I can only imagine what waking up to 3ft is like, hope you all can stay in and stay warm

Thanks Harry: You guys in greater Pittsburgh.....Aristocles, and Tim Haggerty must have lucked out. One of these days we men need to get together and smoke up a room. :lol:

P.S. When I went to bed I had maybe a foot out there (Central CT) . Approx two more feet of the cold white stuff arrived while I slept. There is now so much snow hereabouts that the snowplows can't get through to the neighborhoods. The back edge of the storm is now at I91, so it won't be long before the gov gives the plow guys the green light. Where they'll put this stuff, I dunno. I'm thankful the power is on and I made that last trip to the super market.

Oops, the gov just came on and extended the travel ban until tomorrow. (Today's Saturday).

A nice young man just arrived with an offer to shovel out the steps, front walk, cars and rear deck for $60. Sold!

Today will be spent putting bulk tobacco in Mason jars, I'm thinking.

Hey Kev: We older pipe men know the value of $60.00 spent well. Enjoy your relaxation my friend.

I would have been all over that $60.00 charge for a guy with a good back, or a bad one, to do my shoveling!

I have some bulk to jar up as well, but no snow to contend with!

Good luck to you all.

I asked the young man how much he'd add to take my snow rake to the areas above the gutters. So we're now up to $80. It's plumb amazing how much faster a 19-year-old back can throw snow than a -- well -- one that is somwhat more -- ah -- experienced. One thing I learned from 40 years on the job is the value of delegating. Thanks to all for your good wishes. Good luck to the fellow Nutmeggers.

Just got a text from my Florida brother and his son who are on their way to the Donut Shoppe where a car show is underway. They're in the Miata with the top down 8)

Eighty bucks is a lot cheaper than the ambulance ride, emergency room, and hospital stay for a heart attack. Got a snow thrower several years ago and it's worth every penny!

KevinM":kn2ochew said:
I asked the young man how much he'd add to take my snow rake to the areas above the gutters. So we're now up to $80. It's plumb amazing how much faster a 19-year-old back can throw snow than a -- well -- one that is somwhat more -- ah -- experienced. One thing I learned from 40 years on the job is the value of delegating. Thanks to all for your good wishes. Good luck to the fellow Nutmeggers.

Just got a text from my Florida brother and his son who are on their way to the Donut Shoppe where a car show is underway. They're in the Miata with the top down 8)
Kevin wins best post so far. :lol: :cheers:

Be safe, gents.

In lieu of a snowblower, I contract with a fellow who has a PU with a blade. Problem this time is that even these guys can't get through. It's now nearly 2 p.m., the sky is blue (still windy, though), and I have yet to see the first town snowplow come through. I'm not complaining, because their first priority has to be the main roads and we're pretty comfy, all things considered. When the first town plow does come through, I know what's going to happen. There will be a huge snow dike at the end of my driveway. XZ#$%&!!!

Sounds like that young chap is about to earn $20 more to make it an even $100. :lol:

Ahoy from Nor' CT! We have a solid 2 1/2 ft. with drifts that double that. Spent the day shoveling the driveway and top half of the deck. I think I will crack a tin of Westminster to while away the evening.

You need to bury a couple of M-80's into that snow dike and just blow it up. :twisted:

Glad to hear our brothers have made it through this OK.

When I was a cheesehead I remember several big blizzards that took several hours to shovel the driveway, and it wasn't very long either. There again I was in my 20's then and could handle that crap more than I can now.

Here's a pic from a guy in another forum -

561673_10151501721522994_1691296799_n.jpg

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR