Allow Me to Introduce Myself

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT/VSG

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I've reading this fine site for a while and decided to join all of you in this enjoyable hobby of pipes and tobaccos. I started buying pipes as a freshman in college many years ago (starting in 1971 to be exact) but gave up pipes in the early 1980s. I took up cigar smoking seriously around 2001 (and built up a pretty serious collection) and then gradually started thinking about pipes again last fall while spending three afternoons at Iwan Ries. The idea took hold and now I am enjoying pipes again almost exclusively.

I'm from Columbus which was the home of a great pipe store, Smokers' Haven, from the 40s to the 80s. Smokers' Haven sold more GBDs than any store in the world, and, as a result, I had a collection of 11 vintage (pre-Comoy merger) GBDs which I always kept in good shape. Smokers' Haven is still in Columbus with different ownership but is slowly returning to its former glory--it's become a weekly hangout for me. (Columbus has a second excellent pipe store, Pipes & Pleasures, so I'm blessed with B & M options.)

I've cleaned up all the old GBDs and entered the estate market recently, purchasing 3 pre-merger GBDs, a beautiful New Standard billiard, a Virgin billiard, and, a Pedigree Bent Acorn. I also had a 70's era Savinelli and a 70s Ben Wade from the old days. I've added 3 Boswells--all great smokers, especially for the price. Presently, I'm having a Chedda made for me that replicates a estate Charatan I saw at SH.

I've been working through a fairly wide range of tobaccos since I returned to the briar. I started with several McCelland blends which I've been working through (Christmas Cheer 2007, FM, FMOTT, British Woods, Bombay Extra, Honeydew, Arcadia, Dark Star, Deep Hollow, Virginia No. 27 & Oriental Mixture No. 14). I am quite fond of Squadron Leader and Penzance. And, I've been also working methodically through the Pease list (Barbary Coast, Cairo, Haddo's Delight, Charing Cross, Kensington, Westminister & Maltese Falcon). Stratford, Piccadilly & Blackpoint are in the cellar to be tried also. (And I drink my morning coffee in a Maltese Falcon mug.)

Lately, I've gotten back into Smokers' Haven blends that I remember from my earlier days--Our Best Blend and Exotique. I love them both. While I was browsing there Sunday, the owner also gave me a sample of a GBD mixture from the 1950s which I'm looking forward to trying.

As to the nickname, CPT are my initials not rank; VSGs the cigars I started with. I use that nickname at Cigar Family, where I've been a member for years, and at Cigar Pass on the pipe board.

O.K. enough for this long introduction. I look forward to participating in BoB.

Welcome CPT.
(I have nearly 30 years of pipe smoke behind me and I'm still trying to figure it out.) :lol:

Welcome to bob. You're lucky to have a great shop nearby. I love Smokers Haven's blends!!!