Am I doing it wrong? Quick bowls.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzakiel

Reaction score
I am a very new pipe smoker, and I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of info about the proper way to pack, light, etc, but honestly have little idea of what I am doing.

I've had 2 bowls so far. I enjoy them a lot, but I am noticing that it only takes me about 5-10 minutes to burn everything in the bowl. Meanwhile, I constantly hear people talking about 30 minute or hour-long smokes. I am taking slow, long sips, lighting gently, relighting when necessary, etc... but I seem to be just about done within 10 minutes. I wind up with a pipe full of what looks like ash or burned bits in just a few minutes.

My pipe does have a bit of a small bowl - It's a MacQueen wizard. I'm packing it pretty tight, but the tobacco is Frog Morton, which is a ribbon cut. It's sort of springy, so no matter how I pack it it, it winds up pretty loose.

And of course I notice that I am frequently going out... about every 2-3 minutes. But that seems normal from what I have read?

The only possibility I can think of, is that your tobacco is far too dry.

I can't imagine what would be causing your tobacco to burn so quickly. :scratch:

Maybe I am just seeing the black clumps and assuming they are ash/spent instead of relighting them/tamping them and keeping at it?

That is a possibility. With some experience, you will learn at what point your tobacco has turned to dottle. If you continue to try to light the dottle, it will be difficult, but it can be done. In the meantime, you will probably scorch your tongue a bit, but until you have been smoking a pipe for awhile, you will not be able to determine exactly when your tobacco is spent to your liking.

Some guys claim that they can smoke a bowl until there is nothing left but a fine white ash, but I have yet to develop those skills. lol

By leaving some dottle in your pipe unsmoked, you will minimize tongue bite, or steam bite, as well as preserve the bottom of your bowl. Some woods like ash or cherrywood are very easy to burnout, much easier than briar.

Packing is an artform. Too loose, you'll burn hot and fast. Add to that fast smoking trying to keep the bowl constantly lit (common flaw in newbie piping)...you'll burn through a bowl in 20 minutes. Packing too tight just gums up the works.

You'll find your balance, just keep researching and experimenting. May your tongue forgive you. :lol:

8)

With the wizard and FM you should be at least a 30 minute smoke. I have a wizard at home and have smoked the ranger quite a bit. Never had a smoke less than 30 min and I smoke a ton of FM. There are both darn and light bits to the tobacco so you may be seeing the dark and thinking you are done when you still have more. I'd either work the Frank method of packing or the 3 part pack and then make changes based on your preference. Enjoy your time experimenting though.

Here's the advice my dad gaver me when I stsrted smoking a pipe back in 1959. If you try all of it for at least a week or two, you might see some improvement,

Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.
Pack looser than you think you need to.
Smoke slower than you think you need to.
Tamp less, and more lightly, than you think you need to.
Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits.
Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

Unless your mouth is made of asbestos, you're eiher not using enough tobacco or youre tossing good tobacco.

Btw, where are you? If you're anywhere near Philly I'd be happy to smoke a few bowls with you.

Dave_In_Philly":zzrf35am said:
Btw, where are you? If you're anywhere near Philly I'd be happy to smoke a few bowls with you.
That's a nice offer. Maybe some day! I am a couple of hours away here in VA, but I do get to Philly once in a while. I'll let you know.

Watch out, Dave's one of those generous and friendly pipesmokers out there that we read about once in a while... :lol: Don't trust him. :p

8)

Happy to report I had a long, satisfying smoke today with the same tobacco and pipe. I was at it for at least 40 minutes. I did have to relight 6-7 times, but it was worth it. I think I just wasn't packing enough, and I was dumping too much and too quickly. I am hoping the relighting will eventually get less frequent... I know it's normal and all, but I'd like to keep it to 2-3 times if possible. I think perhaps I am not fully catching the whole surface on the first couple of lights. Or I may need to dry the tobacco... it's very moist.

tzakiel":l1x84ggd said:
I think perhaps I am not fully catching the whole surface on the first couple of lights. Or I may need to dry the tobacco... it's very moist.
Try loading the pipe then walking away for half an hour before lighting up...that may be all the drying you need to do.

Also, how do you light your pipe? And do you have anyone with a bit of experience in piping that you could watch?

For a newcomer, I'd suggest a nice box of kitchen matches, since they're easy to control. And, yes, you need to practice lighting the surface evenly though not deeply. A good descriptive word I've heard used is to let the flame "dance" over the tobacco surface. Hold the match down close to the tobacco.

And yes, do the charring or false light, let it go out, tamp lightly, then light again.

When there were more pipesters learning this was a lot easier, 'cause you could just watch and pick up the knack quickly.

But it sounds like you're well on your way.