Am I 'old school' and, if so, is that a bad thing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E-reader? No, although I'm pondering it. My first Kindle Paperwhite didn't click with me. Books? Always!

While I know it is not nearly as good as actual books, I love my kindle. Going over seas for 6-12 months at a time, I can bring thousands of books with me and it takes up no space. But there will always be something about real books that is just better

I got the Kobo e-reader and even though I am old school,this thing is fantastic. It comes in very handy when I go to Dr`s offices and have to wait, I usually have at least 5 books on it ready to read and it`s not much bigger than a cell phone.

Ranger107: If I'm not home for any reason, used to pull quite a few night duties, I've taught the wife to point and pull till the gun is empty. No chance of a jam.

Lawyer: Why did you shoot the deceased 6 times?

Defendant: That's all the bullets the gun would hold.

Ranger107: If I'm not home for any reason, used to pull quite a few night duties, I've taught the wife to point and pull till the gun is empty. No chance of a jam.

Lawyer: Why did you shoot the deceased 6 times?

Defendant: That's all the bullets the gun would hold.
Or, I was in fear for my life and I paniced. Lol.

I have never owned a gun but know how to use them. I keep thinking about getting one but meh.

I have been an enthusiast and collector for many years. Living in NY where every day is an adventure,I feel confident that I am well protected. Much like Rangers wife,my wife knows what to do if the sh-t hits the fan.

I have been an enthusiast and collector for many years. Living in NY where every day is an adventure,I feel confident that I am well protected. Much like Rangers wife,my wife knows what to do if the sh-t hits the fan.
Does she have her own AR15? Got mine a DPMS Panther w/ red dot in case the manure really does hit the fan big time, lol.

I have never owned a gun but know how to use them. I keep thinking about getting one but meh.
We live out in the country. Our house was broken into while our college age daughter was home alone. She hid behind the bed and called 911. Fortunately the burglar stayed in the master bedroom end of the house which is at the opposite end from our daughter's bedroom. It took about 25 minutes for police to arrive and the burglar was long gone.

I've always been around long guns and have several. Never cared for handguns but know how to use them. Only owned a worn out .22 revolver that I inherited from my dad when he passed away. Since the burglary we now have 6 handguns in the house one of which is on my person or within reach at all times. I think every level-headed female should legally own and legally carry a handgun. Old men should do likewise.

I feel much more secure and I hope I never have to use one except on targets.

We live out in the country. Our house was broken into while our college age daughter was home alone. She hid behind the bed and called 911. Fortunately the burglar stayed in the master bedroom end of the house which is at the opposite end from our daughter's bedroom. It took about 25 minutes for police to arrive and the burglar was long gone.

I've always been around long guns and have several. Never cared for handguns but know how to use them. Only owned a worn out .22 revolver that I inherited from my dad when he passed away. Since the burglary we now have 6 handguns in the house one of which is on my person or within reach at all times. I think every level-headed female should legally own and legally carry a handgun. Old men should do likewise.

I feel much more secure and I hope I never have to use one except on targets.
Unfortunately, in today's world, women, especially older ladies, like my sister who is 80, should consider being armed. In CA I taught an NRA class called Women On Target. It was geared specifically to women who had little or no firearms experience. I also taught self defense classes for women who chose not to go armed. Simple martial arts moves that would help them in a self defense situation. In Prescott we have many older women who live alone, widows, divorcees, etc. There are many in my wife's age group, late 60s, early 70s, who live alone and feel the need to be able to protect themselves. I have taught several of her friends to safely handle firearms and shoot defensively. They all say they feel safer if they were the target of a home invasion, or carjacking, etc. Hopefully, none of them will ever have the need to use the skills they were taught, however, I feel like they are safer and more secure should the need arise.

Nice revolver, but if you really wanna be "old school" it should be a Smith model 10, or better yet a 45 Long Colt. Lol.
I love the 45 Long Colt. My pride and joy that I wear when turkey hunting is my S&W Mountain Gun with 4 inch barrel. I can't believe how hard back in the 90's it was to find a double action 45 LC.

When I was in the 60s,, I bought my first pistol a High Standard HD Military. That still shoots well and accurate. I had bought several other .22 pistols but sold them but not my HD Military. You think would "be and old school" codger?

When I was in the 60s,, I bought my first pistol a High Standard HD Military. That still shoots well and accurate. I had bought several other .22 pistols but sold them but not my HD Military. You think would "be and old school" codger?
Yep. High Standard was a very well made revolver. My former FIL had one, the 9 shot 22. Very accurate and fun as hell to shoot.

Ahh rimfire guns…I remember having a High Standard Sport King (22 LR semi auto). I shot it a lot. It was reliable and accurate. Tin cans were not safe in rural Oregon. My next 22 LR pistol was a Ruger MK II Stainless 5 1/2” bull barrel. It was a treasure. A bitch to clean but near perfect in function. I had a Ruger 22 LR Bolt Action Rifle (7722?). It had a wood stock & rotary magazine. I put a Weaver 4X fixed scope on it and it was scary accurate. I could easily hit quarters at 100 yds. Also a Ruger semi auto rifle that I had modded like a mini assault rifle. Fun and also deadly accurate. I had a Smith & Wesson Model 17 (22LR). It was a gem beyond all others. Bought it for about $250…now they’re going for over a grand. Ouch! Now in my elder years I have a Walther PPK-S Nickel Plated and a new Ruger stainless semi auto rifle with the black synthetic stock. I don’t think I’ve ever been very long without a 22 LR firearm of some kind. They just make too much sense.

Agreed re the .357 magnum. Incredible bad guy stopping power with the 110 gr bullet especially. The hydrostatic shock is phenomenal. I have to imagine that those Marlin lever rifles chambered for the .357 Mag would be devastating at proper ranges. But then, bullet design has come so far that nearly any centerfire pistol is effective in the hands of a practiced shooter.

Agreed re the .357 magnum. Incredible bad guy stopping power with the 110 gr bullet especially. The hydrostatic shock is phenomenal. I have to imagine that those Marlin lever rifles chambered for the .357 Mag would be devastating at proper ranges. But then, bullet design has come so far that nearly any centerfire pistol is effective in the hands of a practiced shooter.
I'm going to look that Marlin up on YouTube.

Don't ask me why but I've been drooling over the Beretta 21A Bobcat for a couple of years now. Odd duck but an interesting little .22 lr. Carry as a BUG? Drop it down the front of my tidy whities? :)

Don't ask me why but I've been drooling over the Beretta 21A Bobcat for a couple of years now. Odd duck but an interesting little .22 lr. Carry as a BUG? Drop it down the front of my tidy whities? :)
I'd carry it. Nice machining and creative design, but not a fan of cold steel in my underpants! On your own there 😁

More a fan of the Ruger Bearcat or Single-Ten but still like the looks of the Bobcat.