Am I the Only One with These Bizarre Tastes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanaspus

Reaction score
I've recently learned something about my tobacco tastes that struck me as both revelationary and bizarre, and I'm just curious if anyone out there is "afflicted" with similar tastes.

First a little history. I've always loved burley tobacco and soon thereafter Virginias and Va/Pers (although not Bur/Pers). Sure, sure, I smoked a lot of English blends because I kind of thought to be a "proper" pipe smoker one must enjoy these as well. But to be honest, I never "loved" most English blends. Light Englishes were ok to me, but heavier ones just never quite gave me that spike of enjoyment. I always chalked this up to, "I guess I just don't like Latakia." This aversion never stopped me from buying and trying as I figured since there were so many it must surely be a problem with me. There were a few I liked ok. Red Rapparree, Pirate Kake, and Meridian come to mind.

Enter Lancer Slices. I smoked my first bowl of this and was completely blown away. Quick check of the blend notes indicated that there were no Orientals in this mixture. EPIPHANY!! (Pardon the pun as that's a light English I quite like). I "knew" at this point that it was not Latakia I hated, so the mystery putrid ingredient must be Oriental tobacco. Finally I "knew" what did and didn't push my buttons in the world of tobacco.....or so I thought.

Fast forward to October 2018. As I was putting together a tobacco order I threw in four ounces of Oriental Silk. You might ask why. I've always thought it was a good thing to challenge one's tastes, to disseminate the whats and wherefores of my palate. I always hated aromatics, but I still occasionally smoke them as I kind of feel to be intelligent about one's likes, one needs to be able to speak intelligently about them. I've even found a couple of those silly things I can enjoy. But I digress. Fast forward to my first several bowls of Oriental Silk, and I'm kind of blown away at how much I like this stuff. I now realize that I probably shouldn't be when I take into account my enjoyment of Meridian and Red Rapparree.

So I now feel like I don't in any way dislike Latakia and I don't in any way dislike Orientals, I just don't like heavy amounts of each blended together. So my conundrum, realizing that 99% of all popular English blends contain a heavy smattering of both leaves is, "I must certainly be about the only person in the pipe-smoking world who is offended by generous amounts of both." If this weren't the case, there'd be a whole lot more Va/Lats and Va/Orientals on the market.

Excuse the long-winded rambling. I'm just curious. Is there anyone else out there who shares this taste preference profile? One always hates to feel one is alone in this world. I'm just curious.

I can’t tolerate Latakia in moderate or heavy ratios and only rarely will smoke it even in a condimental role. Heavy Orientals EXCEPT for “Turkish” meaning Smyrna...are meh...tolerated but not sought out. Smyrna (usually referred to as Turkish) is a joy. It’s what’s in Oriental Silk. It’s in Captain Earl’s Honor Blend, C&D Riverboat Gambler, and several John Patton blends like Dark Horse, Oriental Dusk and Crossroads as well as other beloved stuff.

You are not alone. We (you and I and a few others) are merely at the end point (the Zenith) of refined tobacco taste. We have arrived at Nirvana. Count your blessings.

I have a problem with some of the Latakia/Oriental blends.  I understand what "Z" is talking about and I try to stay away from the Orientals.  I've been enjoying the straight burleys lately and still enjoy the old standby- Carter Hall. Yeah, Crossroads and Dark Horse have the Orientals and I can't enjoy them because they get me almost sickish feeling.  Lat/Or like GLP Westminster and Dunhill Durbar do the same, but Dunhill EMP doesn't have any effect on me. It must be the way it is mixed. Anyway, I stay away from most Oriental tobaccos also.

I am still figuring it out but my belief is heavy orientals and turkish does not trip my trigger. For english however i am a fan of nightcap and plum pudding. I have found that i don't get hung up on any one thing and will hit a blend in waves and find the variety makes me enjoy blend types even more.