Am looking for something new...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean73

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Dean here from Tokyo. I am looking to expand my tabacco experiences.

A little background info might help...I have been smoking pipes for about 6 years. Until a few months ago I had only smoked Tinderbox aromatics. (I smoked Black Russian regularly.) Since I moved to Japan last year I was depending on family to send me tabacco. I was at the mercy of non-smokers to send me what they thought would be good pipe tabacco. Well intentioned the gesture was, but not enjoyable.

I recently started looking on the internet to order tabacco myself. I stumbled onto a few forums...some good, some not so good. Through the different forums I found Boswells Pipe and Tabacco. I really like their "Boswell's Best" and "Penn. Dutch Treat." I tried their Burley, but it was not to my taste. I have a bag of Northwoods, but have not had a chance to smoke any yet. "Chirstmas Cookie" was good, but the "Boswell's Best" is better to my tastes.

I would like to expand my smoking experience a bit. Although, I really like the taste of the Boswell tabaccos I do not want to get stuck in a rut. I have yet to try a tin of tabacco. I guess I am looking for something a little different...maybe more "full bodied" but without to much niccotine content. (I don't want to get the head buzz.) I do like aromatics, but what would you guys out there suggest? I am all ears...

Lost in Tokyo with no true tabacco shop in sight,
Dean

Given what you like already, you might like Mac Baren Navy Flake and/or McClelland Frog Morton. Both blends will have some familiar notes in the background (the mild and sweet), but will introduce something new. Navy Flake will show you a VA/Burley flake, and Frog Morton has a note of Latakia. Both are widely available, don't cost the earth, and are not too headstrong with nicotine.

If you're interested in moving away from quite so much sweetness, Orlik Golden Sliced is very straight-forward, mostly-Virginia flake.

Good suggestions. I'd also recommend any of the G.L. Pease blends to try out. Good luck!

Get on your "confuzer" and Google sites such as C&D Tobacco, LJ Peretti's, Pipeworks & Wilke, GL Pease, PipesandCigars, Smoking Pipes, just to name a few. Make a list of 'baccys that sound good for you; then Google over to tobaccoreviews.com and check out the reviews on your selections. Will take a bit of research and time, but I bet you'll enjoy it!! BTW, I "feel your pain" about being stuck in Japan. I spent three years in Okinawa during the 70's. Had to order my baccy and cigars using snail mail. Thank goodness for JR Cigar and Georgetown Tobacco. Only ones who would ship overseas!! :roll: Let us know what your "research" reveals; then we can go from there! :cheers: :pipe: FTRPLT

FTRPLT,

Thanks for the suggestions. In my brief search I found Pipidia and some of the websites you mentioned. I also looked at tobaccoreviews.com. Lots of info there.

Doc,

Thanks for the suggestions! I will give Navy Flake and Frog Morton a try.

Bent Stem,

where can I find the GL PLease blends?

I generally find that either "Smoking Pipes" or "Pipes and Cigars" have the best prices; not always, but ususally! :pipe: FTRPLT

If you're looking for something tasty and economical , I am presently smoking Finck's Golden Cavendish. This tobaccy was willed to me recently and I can't believe how good this is. I have smoked some others from Finck's that were pretty good but I love this stuff. Tasty Virginias with a natural sweetness , no bite and an aroma to die for. At $18.95 per pound this stuff is amazing. I can smoke bowl after bowl of this and not get bored. Just google Finck's Cigar Company. The Golden Cavendish is one of their House Blends.

Also check out pipesandcigars.com. They are great blenders with reasonable prices.