Amazon Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjw

Reaction score
Hey all, anyone have any experience with the pipes that Amazon has for sale.

Saw a couple of Churchwarden's by Obitis that look nice. But, looks can be deceiving.

Your thoughts please

Thanks so much

Greg

I wouldn't waste the time on one. There's a reason you don't see any pipes from more reputable dealers carved out of ebony. If you want a cheap pipe, get a cob.

I'm new to pipes (12/22) and my first was one that we ordered on Amazon, a "Whitluck" pipe starter set, for $25. I figured if I ended up not liking pipes, no big outlay to mourn. It was made in China, of ebony wood, and was very heavy. I didn't like the heaviness of it. I ended up trading one of my sons for his pipe, which he also got in a starter set from his FiL; I liked his pipe better and he liked mine.

I'm kind of biased against the made in China pipe because I didn't even remotely know what I was doing when I was smoking it. In all objectivity, the fit and finish were very nice.

Save yourself the expense of wood or meerschaum pipes and add a couple of inexpensive corn cob pipes to your tobacco orders. Throw away the filters and clean them after every smoke. Once you know you're a pipe smoker find a hundred dollar briar fron a known company, Peterson, Savinelli, etc. and give it a try.

Save yourself the expense of wood or meerschaum pipes and add a couple of inexpensive corn cob pipes to your tobacco orders. Throw away the filters and clean them after every smoke. Once you know you're a pipe smoker find a hundred dollar briar fron a known company, Peterson, Savinelli, etc. and give it a try.
Terrific advice for new pipe smokers. Cobs are great, cheap, lightweight and if you loose them, oh well.
Also great advice on buying a briar for around $100. when you decide if you like pipe smoking. Some of the prices are outrageous and I really don't find they smoke any better. Jim

Terrific advice for new pipe smokers. Cobs are great, cheap, lightweight and if you loose them, oh well.
Also great advice on buying a briar for around $100. when you decide if you like pipe smoking. Some of the prices are outrageous and I really don't find they smoke any better. Jim
I traveled a similar path. Finally decided I needed a "good" new briar almost as an experiment. I bought a $108 Savinelli Trevi 320EX, and it has proven to be a good decision. Then there are all the estates, antique store finds, etc., but I still love cobs. You are on an excellent forum to learn and ask questions and tell others about your experience. I'd add try the "breath" method-see Muttonchop Piper and others on YT.

I've about decided it depends on the individual pipe and it's just a dice roll when you buy one. I have meerschaums that are hot and cool. Same for briar. My coolest smoking pipe is a Dunhill bought 15-20 years ago. My hottest is a meerschaum bought 5 years ago. Go figure.

I traveled a similar path. Finally decided I needed a "good" new briar almost as an experiment. I bought a $108 Savinelli Trevi 320EX, and it has proven to be a good decision. Then there are all the estates, antique store finds, etc., but I still love cobs. You are on an excellent forum to learn and ask questions and tell others about your experience. I'd add try the "breath" method-see Muttonchop Piper and others on YT.
I keep seeing references to the "breathe" method. What, exactly, is that? I want to confirm, or not, that my assumption is correct. Important to me as my tongue is tender as a baby's butt.

While the majority of pipes offered on Amazon are inferior Chinese ones, there are some good ones to be found if you search hard enough. I have bought a nice Peterson and a Rattray's pipe there. The Rattray's Distillery pipe that I found there was a natural finish and was sold out everywhere else. But avoid the Amazon pipes with weird names because they are probably inferior pipes that you don't want to fool with.