AMPHORA Original Blend & Full Aroma

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've noticed on TR some of the USA pipers regret the fact that this tobacco was no longer available to them.

I don't know if you've already noticed but 4noggins has got it in stock now.

I love this tobacco which reminds me of days gone by.....smoking a stop of Original Blend right now in a cob poker :cheers:

SpeedyPete

I use to smoke this Amphora blend years ago and I enjoyed it. One of the better OTC pipe blends. I order from 4Noggins about every 6 weeks so I just added this to my list. Thanks for your opinion on the re-release of the original blend.

Have you tried both the original & full aroma? My favorite was the original

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I think pretty much everybody has this blend for sale now.

“Made by MacBaren since 2006, the company owns the blend as of 2015.” - from TR site description.

It used to be made by Douwe Egebert's and then Imperial and the original is the one folks are missing. I don’ know how close the MacBaren version is to the original...but some good reviewers like it, some don’t like it at all, so...

Here, it’s on sale for $5

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/amphora-full-aroma-pipe-tobacco/1498850/

Lonecoyote":xswwz9s0 said:
SpeedyPete

I use to smoke this Amphora blend years ago and I enjoyed it. One of the better OTC pipe blends. I order from 4Noggins about every 6 weeks so I just added this to my list. Thanks for your opinion on the re-release of the original blend.

Have you tried both the original & full aroma? My favorite was the original

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Yes, I've got both but, funny enough, I like the Full Aroma more now.....used to smoke Original Blend for years. I will keep both of them in stock though. Available at our local B&M at a fair price.

Thanks for the Info Blackhorse and SpeedyPete, greatly appreciated

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Went down to the B&M for a new cob and impulse-bought some of this. Eleven bucks! Never again!

It is pretty good, though. I lack the patience for most milder blends, and prefer to be kicked in the face by latakia or orientals or perique, but this is nice. It's like good diner coffee. I've had more rewarding blends, but I don't mind a bottomless cup of this either.

Eleven bucks for a single pouch? Ouch.

Here’s a detail from my recent order...

—�—�—�—�—�—�—

Item Description In Stock Price Qty Total

Amphora Full Aroma
1.75 Ounce Pouch
Item # APC-TP-1000
In Stock $5.63 each. 2 pouches = $11.26

First Class Shipping.  $3.99

—�—�—�—�—�—�—�-

Total for two pouches was $15.25 shipped.

So I just read about the new release of the Amphora blends on TR. Between 2011 to 2014 the reviews were pretty darn good. The TR from the year 2016 to 2017 are mostly on the poor side.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I prefer the Original to the Full Aroma version, and smoked the former for a few years in the 1970s, early '80s. Have several pouches of the FA that are a few years old, and they, along with the Original were gifted to me by a family friend. Dunno when I'll decide to smoke the FA again, but I'm going to open a pouch of the Original when I smoke down some of my open stash. The Original was my favorite OTC until it disappeared from my area in the early 1980s, so I was happy to see it return to the USA in 2015, and stocked up during a great sale last year.

Lonecoyote":6ostrjml said:
So I just read about the new release of the Amphora blends on TR. Between 2011 to 2014 the reviews were pretty darn good. The TR from the year 2016 to 2017 are mostly on the poor side.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Try a pouch and make up your own mind. I was smoking it during the 2011-2014 era, and it's the same as the current production. You may find it needs a slight dry time, but there was no change in the recipe or manufacturer from then to now.

THANKS JIM

The Original blend was the one I also preferred and smoked often years ago. As JimInks stated I too thought it was the best OTC blend at the time. During the late 60's and through the 70's my only three OTC blends were Captain Black & White, Amphora Original and Carter Hall.
Next time I place an order with either Smokingpipes or 4Noggins I will order a pouch of Amphora Original. Want to see if it brings back to the good old days!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

JimInks":crmfsv04 said:
I prefer the Original to the Full Aroma version, and smoked the former for a few years in the 1970s, early '80s. Have several pouches of the FA that are a few years old, and they, along with the Original were gifted to me by a family friend. Dunno when I'll get the FA, but I'm going to open a pouch of the Original when I smoke down some of my open stash. The Original was my favorite OTC until it disappeared from my area in the early 1980s, so I was happy to see it return to the USA in 2015, and stocked up during a great sale last year.
Well!!! If it's good enough for YOU it must be good enough for me as well :lol:

On a whim I bought a pouch of the Full Aroma and I enjoyed smoking it.

Will definitely be picking up some of the Original to try at some point.