An Electric Car

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I was in the Ferrari dealer in Thousand Oaks Ca 2 years ago and they had 3 on the floor for sale at $200K+. .
That must have been due to some cancelled orders. Most buyers of those type of vehicles want them made to spec to suit their own preferences. On the other hand, if you're looking, there are plenty of high end "used" vehicles always to be found. One of my boyhood friends, now deceased, bought and sold formerly movie star owned, Ferraris, Rolls, etc. He was a different kind of guy; kicked out of high school at 15, tested and passed his GED without a minute of study, got a Ph.D. in pharmacology in three years, then his J.D. in law two years later. His career was as a professional witness in pharmaceutical malpractice cases. Sadly, he died with dementia at age 74 in a nursing home.

Last edited:
I had an 1898 Waverly Electric at one time.
No I was not the original owner.

Took an award at Pebble Beach decades ago with it and then sold it to the Waverly Museum.

It was basically a 4 wheeled buggy with 44 battery cells...and a tiller that was used for steering.
Forward and reverse were standard.....as was the buggy hitch on the front when it need to be towed.
Electric bell was readily available to warn the masses of your arrival.
Carried two passengers with a neck snapping 2 horsepower.
You could lower the buggy top so you could feel the wind in your hair, as you traversed only flat ground.
I remember having to be pushed up the slight ramp at Pebble Beach to receive my trophy.

http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2020/12/waverley-electric.html

I had no idea that there were batteries in 1898. Do you know their composition?

Sorry...I'm no expert in this field.
If I tried to present what I know, I'd be exposed as being beyond the idiot I am.
They did allow us to put 4 regular car batteries in the vehicle for concours competitions.
The powers that be realized, the original batteries might be a little difficulty to find and maintain.
I suggest a review of the history of the Waverly out of Indiana might give some insight.

They were using giant batteries to electroplate in the 1850s (?), so there was definitely battery power predating cars.