An Interesting Phone Call

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
In 1975, I was in the process of a divorce, working both as on-air announcer and operating manager of a radio station. I hired a young woman, who was right out of broadcasting school. She was 24 and, as I later discovered, had just gone through a divorce. She had a three-year-old son, who was going to stay with her parents, while she got established. She had a marvelous voice, was extremely pretty, but was in real need of on-air experience. After about a year, she was ready to move on and did. Every few months, for a couple of years, she'd check in with me, then, nothing.

In 1984, Playboy magazine ran a pictorial of the "Women in Radio." I saw the magazine in the barbershop. I had married again and had a 6-year-old daughter. My wife would have kicked my arse if I brought a Playboy into the house. The woman I'd trained in 1975 was full page frontal naked in the magazine. I phoned the radio station where it said she worked and asked the receptionist if she'd pass a message on to her to call me. I was very clear. She knows me and if you check her personnel file, I am one of her references. I was told that months earlier, immediately after she was photographed for Playboy, she left the station and had returned to St. Paul with her son, so he could go to a local parochial middle/high school. She had taken a job with a local transportation company as a dispatcher.

I hadn't heard from her for 30 years. A few months after my wife passed away in 2008, I received a condolence card with a note that simply said, "If you'd like to talk...and her cell phone number. We had lunch at a local restaurant. For age 57-58, she still looked fairly attractive, but worn and thicker. Her life hadn't been easy. Neither of us mentioned the Playboy photo, but I was curious. We talked about old times, radio trade talk, etc. and parted ways with a hug and her comment, "In case you're curious, I do have a steady guy."

Last night, out of the blue, my phone rang and her name appeared on the screen. I answered, greeting her by name and "What's shakin?" She laughed and said "I'm getting a new cell phone and decided to edit my contacts list to see if it's current." We talked for about half an hour. Her voice is still like silk. Finally, I asked the question, "Whatever possessed you to pose buck naked in that Playboy?"
"As you probably read, I was working in Houston, far from home and family. My son was with me and the station didn't pay s**t. We were living on the border of poverty. I was in deep debt, behind a few months rent. I thought I still looked pretty good at almost 34 and the offer of $10,000 dollars for a photo shoot was the answer to all my money problems. And to tell you the truth, I'd do it again if they asked me."
We both laughed and I said, "I don't think there are any magazines paying $10-grand to 70-year-old women to pose nude." To which she quickly replied, "I'll bet Stevie Nicks could get it."
We made no plans to get together until Covid is a memory.

What I've always found both interesting and confounding is that although I'm only about 6-7 years older than she is, she has always interacted with me as though I am very much older than her. Perhaps, it's because I was an early mentor?

Last edited:
Pics or it didn't...............oh, nevermind........🤡 Cheers, RR
I don't think even I want to see what she looks like unclothed now. She was pretty chunky 13 years ago, now, I don't want to even imagine.

Some women age well and others not so much. My wife just turned 71 this month and her body is pretty much the same as when she was 21. Every time I look at her sans clothes I feel extremely fortunate and blessed.