And now for something completely different....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
61MznlqpBCL._SX522_.jpg

OK, so this is a new one on me that I was just introduced to. And what it is, is a spread for toast that is anchovy paste + spices. So one has to enjoy anchovies before venturing here!

The idea is that one spreads it thinly on well buttered toast. It has a rather strong flavour, so one doesn't use it liberally like peanut butter! A very little goes a long way!

It comes in a hockey puck style container, and one must slice the middle of the body label in order to separate the upper and lower halves in order to open (a feature that befuddled me initially since there's no instructions for opening, and it doesn't appear to simply twist off).

It's available on amazon iffen anyone is innerested!

In any case, this smallish container of some 71 gm should be sufficient for at least a dozen or more slices of toast, if spread in the judicious manner. Any more would be sensory overload!

More info here-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman%27s_Relish

btw, I enjoy strong flavours and regularly have Marmite on my toast for a b'fast treat! So sue me.....

Cheers,

RR

I tried a tin of anchovies for the first time last year. Partially to help teach my 6 year old daughter to try new things at least once. If you don't like it then you don't have to ever have it again.

She still laughs sometimes when she remembers the face I made. :D

should i worry or should i...... hmmm remember ozzy is the guy that carryies kippers in his pocket

Hey!!! That doesn’t sound bad!
My wife and I are vegans but we do eat fish, crustaceans, and mollusks here and there (about once a month, maybe less). We had a Small Gathering for a Friends Christmas type party and I politely put out sushi grade smoked salmon, barbecued oysters, and sardines in mustard, and a 4 dollar roll of “fancy” crackers. Luckily for me no one ate any so I happily saved our refrigerator from leftovers, and ate the lot. I’ve been meaning to get my wife to try caviar on toast... incredible!
Let me know how it is Ozark!
Zach

Mushroom ketchup is da bomb! I haven't made any in ages. Thanks for the reminder guys. Not so sure about the anchovy spread though. I like sardines and can deal with herrings but anchovy might just get me kicked out of the house.

Jim