Anniversary

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Is B.O.B. about to have their first Anniversary, I'm still relatively new here and haven't searched through all the archives but it seems that about the 9th of December of 07 is when things got started around here. Any old guys want to comment, fill us newbies in on the history of BOB.
:pipe:

Yes BoB started December 9th 2007. The first members were made up of people from the Knoxcigar board. There was some concern on whether or not Knox would continue to host the board being they were going to stop their online sales. There were also some technical problems arising that weren't being addressed so I decided to start BoB.

On the Knoxcigar board there was a chat function that didn't work for some users so I set up a simple chatroom on one of my servers and some of us would get together for chats quite often. So when the problems arose on the board I used the contact information I had from my chatroom to send out the initial invites to BoB.

BoB is hosted completely for free by forumotion.com, the only cost associated with the board is the domain name which is only about ten dollars a year. Time spent maintaining and administrating is donated by members. Even our logo was donated by a fine gentleman named Christopher Noble.

As BoB started to grow we started having some conflicts between members and it was a situation that I became increasingly uncomfortable dealing with so I first started the Council. A group of existing members who I asked to get together to make decisions regarding problems on the board. All members having an equal say and vote.

We continued to have growing pains and I decided that I would much rather not have control over the board so I asked members of the Council if any of them would like to take over control. Danish Pipe Guy stepped up and started putting the time in to shape the board into what it is today.

There were some technical issues that required me to maintain my full administrator status, mostly that I tied the board to my personal email account which can not be changed. It worked out fine though and I'm happy to say that even though we still have spats in the Rubber Room, we all get along pretty well now.

All in all I'm quite happy with the way things have turned out. Great bunch of folks have come together here.

Just for the record I didn't want any of you schmucks on the board... :D

I think the real family tree traces back to a board called Stokers Haven..

Stokers Haven guys didn't have a chatroom so they would go to Knox Cigars chatroom on thursday nights. When Stokers exploded some of the members started using Knox Cigars board... When Knox screwed up J begat BoB. The cool thing is we have old Stokers members here, some like Carlos & Chuck are treasures, others like Jp..well let's just leave that unsaid. :D :D

nice! I was ignorant to this subject, not knowing it was started less than a year ago. Well, i'm happy it's made it this far cause I love the place!

Never did the Smoker's Haven board; I got started on the old JR Cigar BB, migrating to Knox when the JR board went under. I've tried some of the other boards; they are fine, I just don't have time for all of them. This board and group gets me in more than enough PAD & TAD trouble as it is!!! I don't need more temptations!!!! :santa: :pipe: FTRPLT

Thanks to EJinva, the BoB's council will now remember the Annual Membership Fee.

Is it still $50?

I was instructed to send the money in cash to PB and I'm still waiting for a receipt from a year ago.

Slow Puffs":v9vn4kwa said:
Thanks to EJinva, the BoB's council will now remember the Annual Membership Fee.

Is it still $50?

I was instructed to send the money in cash to PB and I'm still waiting for a receipt from a year ago.
Checks in the mail. :bom:

Actually we had to raise the fee by 10% due to the economy of running the board.. And don't forget the 20% fuel surcharge.. And a $3 handling fuel. So please remit $69 in cash,certified check, or USPS money order to

BoB
C/o PB
555 Pb way
Brandenburg,Ky
40404-0404

puros_bran":bq6zsugy said:
Just for the record I didn't want any of you schmucks on the board... :D

I think the real family tree traces back to a board called Stokers Haven..

Stokers Haven guys didn't have a chatroom so they would go to Knox Cigars chatroom on thursday nights. When Stokers exploded some of the members started using Knox Cigars board... When Knox screwed up J begat BoB. The cool thing is we have old Stokers members here, some like Carlos & Chuck are treasures, others like Jp..well let's just leave that unsaid. :D :D
Well, if you want to really go back in the family tree............a lot of us originated on the (going way back) JR Cigars BB pipes section which ended up becoming a Yahoo Group that eventually led to Stokers Haven Some of us spent time between Stokers Haven and Knox which begat BoB.

For some reason I have always been labeled the troublemaker in the bunch. I just don't understand it. 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks PB!

Justpipes":c0scwo9w said:
For some reason I have always been labeled the troublemaker in the bunch. I just don't understand it. 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks PB!
Clue... count how many different posts there are about Walnut. :roll:

Jp the 'Stokers Haven' Yahoo group is actually the second incarnation, started after the troubles on the first (which is why #2 was invitation only)

puros_bran":nym00aqn said:
Just for the record I didn't want any of you schmucks on the board.
It wouldn't be any fun if you did. I'm only here to pester PB, to rile up TJ and to spray for Walnut infestation 8)

Its hard to believe its been a year already, a lot of water has surely passed under the bridge. I'm proud and honored to belong to such a great group...

Here's to year 2!

There sure are some great people here that do care about others as much as themselves. Some mighty fine people!!!

puros_bran":xdojefyi said:
Jp the 'Stokers Haven' Yahoo group is actually the second incarnation, started after the troubles on the first (which is why #2 was invitation only)
You're right. That is why I was saying going way back to the first yahoo group immediately after the JRBB died.

Well, it really dosen't matter. We are where we are and better off for it in my humble opinion. This is a great web community that goes beyond just being an internet community. There are probably very few and far between such communities on the net in any category that can boast that!!!

Happy birthday BoB!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I think we need to throw a big party sometime in Jan. - Feb. at Lamberts out in Missouri! I'm up for a whirlwind tour of the near midwest!